Trees that have nuts. And fruit for deer and other wildlife.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by timmyatnop, Oct 19, 2011.

1. timmyatnop

timmyatnop Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Iam trying to improve. Some property I inhereated from my dad. The propriety. Is located in central neb. River bottom ground covered in cedar and cottonwood trees. I was looking at burr oak. But thinking I might buy apple trees and plum instead. What do u guys think.

2. roverboy

roverboy Active Member

I don't know if deer like plums or not but, I know they love apples. Is there some oaks all ready on your property? A lot of places that have apple trees, they will clean up everyone that hits the ground.

3. hatfield954

hatfield954 Well-Known Member

blackberries, blueberries, apples and acorns for deer. Bear like sassafras, nuts, berries, animals and humans.

4. timmyatnop

timmyatnop Well-Known Member

OK apple trees for sure. Mabey a few oak. What about crabapple. ?

5. Snubbie

Snubbie Well-Known Member

I think deer will be attracted to and eat most any edible fruit. However, most of todays trees will be hybrids and to really produce well they need tending to, like fertilizing, spraying, pruning etc. Their production will be greatly influenced by weather, late frosts, drought, hail storms. One bad weather event can wipe out the fruit for that year.

I think acorns would be a better choice. Nothing wrong with mixing in some fruit and berries but for longevity and possibly better "yield" I would think acorns would be good. Deer love them, they are very nutritious, help deer pack on fat and survive winters, and are a natural food source. Once the trees are established they will produce for generations with no further tending, and I believe they are more hardy than most fruit trees but I don't know that to be fact. The acorns that don't get eaten will produce more oaks with no further effort on your part.

Just some thoughts for what it's worth.