Treatment of primer explosion wound

proload

I've been reloading for 15 years, and have just experienced my first reloading accident.

It was very dumb I know, so lets not get into that .... :rolleyes:

I was annealing brass cases (243 Win) and somehow a primed case (CCI BR2 Primer) landed up in the batch of brass that I was annealing. Well, it went off with a huge bang, and to be fair scared the $$$$ out of me.

The primer exited the case and struck me on the outside of my right index finger creating what initially looked like a round blood blister. The skin was severed in a star like pattern. The force of the impact was very hard, and my finger was numb for several hours. There was some bleeding, but not too much.

I cleaned the wound out with detol (same as savlon) and it seemed like a lot of black stuff (sort of like powder residue) came out. Thinking that it would help to clean the wound property, I cut off all the skin around the wound and cleaned it again. This revealed a reasonably deep cut through the flesh. I poked around to see if there were any bits of the primer cup in the wound. I found nothing and assume that the cut was caused by the impact forcing the tissue against the bone.

This all happened about 12 hours ago.

I treated the wound as per usual with antiseptic creme and a bandage.

This morning, I changed the dressing, and there was definite discharge from the wound during the night. The finger is sore, but not unbearable. It feels like the finger has been hit really hard with a hammer. What concerns me is that the muscle tissue around the wound (about 1cm either side) feels numb, and I am slightly concerned as to whether I should go see the doc.

After extensive searching I have not been able to find the primer cup. I have found the anvil.

Do you guys think I should see the doc?

Usually when I'm even questioning going to the doctor it means I should, I would get it checked out to make sure nothing is still in there.

I work as a Paramedic.

I would get it checked. You may need an X-Ray for fragments. If the discharge is anything but clear or blood then you have an infection as well. Quite possible with primer residue tattooed in the wound. If the wound is hot to touch then you have an infection.

From what you have said it sounds like it will not get better without definitive care.

Where are the pics at?

You DOG! Actually, the same thought crossed my mind.

Sounds like the consensus is you ought to get it checked out. Like Code4 mentioned, keep an eye out for any festering, and signs of infection. It will be in your best interest to prevent any spreading of infection. Especially if the bone has been impacted or is involved.

I would get it looked at too. As mentioned, don't want to leave particles in there to fester and infect after it starts healing.

My son once pulled a stupid, he thought he'd feel how much air pressure a pellet gun pushed out the barrel...........LSS, he didn't ensure it was unloaded first! Pellet went clean through, missed the bone at the finger tip but exited through the rear of the finger nail.

We took him to the doc for X-rays just to make sure there was no lead left inside to poison him later. Finger healed fine.

Bad thing about going to the doc is that they have to report it as a Firearm or Explosives accident.......more paperwork, and more ammo for the anti's.........But, I guess that's better than blood poisoning and amputation.

Last edited:
Medical advice on LRH!! I got this growth on my butt. Would one of you guys come over and lance it off? :D

Dude...GO TO THE DOC...NOW!

OK ... at the doc now .... the primer cup has been found ....

Yeah ... in my finger ....

Well, at least it's not lost anymore ...

I'll try and post pics of the x-ray if I can.

:cool:

OK. Now I'm game for pics too!

Hope this isn't the beginning of a bad case of shooter's flinch. That would be a real bummer... :)

Thanks guys .... I'm pretty glad I went to the doc as I had no idea that the primer had penetrated my finger. Thanks for the advise ...

I was sent to hospital this afternoon and they cut it out ...

Cheers

Attachments

• P1000787.JPG
    P1000787.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 113
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.