traditions pursuit LT, poor groups

Wildhog

I bought a traditions pursuit LT muzzle loader aprox 4 yrs ago clearence at walmart. I mounted a 3x9 x40 bushnell trophy on it and went to range to zero. Tried horn sst , power belts, horn xtp, best group was 4 inches at 50 ydswith horn xtp which were recomended by traditions. Was off paper at 100 yds. Got aggraviated its been in safe ever since then . I decided to try to figure it out again. Would appreciate any suggestions on projectile that may perform best. I have white hots and pyrodex pellet powder and cci 209 primers. Any one using this muzzle loader with any suggestions. It would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
Mine shoots decent groups with 100gr(2 pellets)pyrodex,cci 209 primers,powerbelt 245gr aerotip.2-2 1/2" @100yds some smaller but none bigger.

hello everyone new to this foum what sabots are you using in your pursuit harvester makes a good sabot and the one you are using our they hard to load are eze to load

I use th sabots that come with the projectiles. I called harvester yesterday thet are sending me some scorpion pt bullets and sone black crs for testing

the harvester should do good for you and the pts our good bullets you may want to use 100gr to 120gr on them

First, welcome to the site!! Muzzleloaders can and will fustrate the heck out of you and then when you think you have it all figured out, your frustrated again. So lets start back from the beginning. Let's pretend you just bought it. What are you going to do with your new muzzleloader?? First you want to clean it and I mean clean the heck out of it. Process 1. Start a pan of water on the stove and get it boiling hot!! While that is happening you want to start cleaning it with a brass wire brush, scrub it hard. Then use the hot boiling water and pour it down the barrel. You want it so hot you can't touch the barrel with out an oven mit. Then scrub the heck out of it again. Then start running dry patches followed by some patches with a good oil. You can use RemOil or something. (most people won't recommend RemOil however it will work) Then let it cool for a while and then repeat the patch process. Dry then a very light amount of oil. Then let it cool. Now your barrel is clean. Your barrel comes from the factory with a ton of grease and oil to prevent it from rusting. Get it out of there, it causes your loss of accuracy. Either way your barrel is clean now and ready to shoot, but hold on lets make sure your ready to shoot first.

Now Process 2 lets make sure you mounted your scope on correctly (this is where I thought I was doing it right however I wasn't). If you did NOT loc tight your bases on this is where your problem is. You can use finger nail polish but you want to loc tight your base on. This is a must, muzzleloaders have a funny recoil and it will knock your scope off.

Now Process 3, GET RID OF YOUR WHITE HOT!!! You want to use Blackhorn 209 or Tripple Seven Powder (FFF). If you buy tripple seven u want to use tripple seven primers. I RECOMMEND Blackhorn 209 and hornady sst 250 grain or Thompson Center Shockwaves 200 grain.

Now the rest is very easy go shoot. Make sure you do the exact same process when you load every time. If you buy Tripple Seven Powder you want to clean between shots one wet patch and a few dry patches. Pour powder in tap your gun a little to make sure powder is settled. PUSH the bullet down till it hits the powder then a firm push down to make sure it is snug. (One thing if you use aerotips you want to get a jag designed to push the aerotips down).

The process you use to load your muzzleloader should be the exact same everytime you load your gun. You should see your groups shrink up. IF not there is some other things you can do but lets start here.

One last thing, try this sight out Modern Muzzleloader there is a lot of people on here who have helped me achieve accuracy out to 300 yards when I couldn't get a group out of my cheap Winchester Apex, which I almost threw away!! You can spend a lot of money trying different things out but when you get onto a site where it is nothing but muzzleloader and people who do nothing but muzzleloader, helps out a ton.

Good Luck and let us know how you do.

Elite

I changed over yesterday from powerbelt 250gr and pyrodex pellets to 300gr 45cal.shockwave,harvester crush rib,cci mag.primers,bh 209,I started with 90gr. and setteled with 100gr. at 100yds my group is .829". I can live with that. Mine is also the pursuit 50cal. ML,scoped. Also the crush rib makes for easy loading,not much different than the powerbelts.

My dad shoots a Traditions Pursuit 50cal and I shoot a 45cal...both are great shooters...45 cal nails it @200yds!!!Both are top with a Leupold ,,, My guess is the Bushnell scope,,,get an upgrade as much as your extra $$$$ can buy,,,,a gun,,,any gun will only shoot as good as it optics!!!

I have the exact same gun ( only a little better scope ) and had the exact same problems when I got it about 5 years ago. I finally discovered that it needed a lot better cleaning process than the CVA that I've had forever. Get her clean and she will probably straighten out. Mine did !

I have a traditions pursuit lt as well with a Simmons 3x9x40. Bought it back in 06 brand new. I haven't really had any problems with it. I mean the gun shoots fine for me. I shoot 300gr hornady fpb sabots with 100grns of triple 7 pyrodex. I've managed to get 2-3in groups at 100yds. One problem I have had is my fiber optic night sight breaking. I used to shoot 295gr power belts but they didn't penetrate well like the hornady which are awesome by the way and I haven't had any trouble taking a deer down with those as well as finding any blood either.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.