Traditional Shooters

Has anyone ever tried one the Green Mountain drop-in replacement barrels? I've been told that they truely are a drop-in for the Thompson Center Hawken and are supposed to be more accurate...
Thanks!

I have 3 of the green mtn long range hunter barrels and they shoot excellent with cast bullets and 300 grn sabots and plain old FF

Wife made a jaunt yesterday and came back telling me about a garage sale with just a TON of outdoor stuff for sale and, it happened to only be a couple miles away. I grabbed my wallet and before I could drive myself, she offered to take me. :)

Long story shorter, the lady had lost her husband two years ago and finally got around to have a sale. When the wife said, "a ton", she meant it! The guy sure had a bunch. I picked up a couple items and while talking with the lady, I mentioned that I shot a lot of muzzleloader rounds. Well it just so happened that although she didn't have them out, she said she was selling two muzzleloaders.

One was a .50 T/C Hawkens and the other a .54 T/C Hawkens. Looking them over, I was a little concerned about the barrels and almost passed on them. We talked price and she sold them BOTH for $150.00. I asked her if she had any children or grandkids that would want them and she told me they didn't hunt or shoot. The outsides looked in great condition so I picked them up.

The .50 cleaned up great and no pitting. However he'd stuffed them full of bore butter and I spend 3 hours getting that caked and hardened stuff out. Other than a very slight mark on the wood, its a great rifle. Now the .54 cleaned up harder and I think there's a little pitting in the barrel at the breech. Its quite obvious that he used the .54 more than the .50, with a few more marks on the wood. All in all, I think I made a great find. Now the .50 I'm going to keep, on the other hand the .54 I think I'm going to put up for sale.

Anybody have a clue what these rifles would go for?

$150 is an incredible buy - and you asked all the right questions before going ahead with the purchase. Sounds like she wanted them to go to someone that would appreciate them. Depending on condition, I would think that someone would jump at the chance to own a .54 cal T/C Hawkins for $200. Maybe $250 if you willing to wait and hold for the right buyer.

$150 is an incredible buy - and you asked all the right questions before going ahead with the purchase. Sounds like she wanted them to go to someone that would appreciate them. Depending on condition, I would think that someone would jump at the chance to own a .54 cal T/C Hawkins for $200. Maybe $250 if you willing to wait and hold for the right buyer.

I'd sell the .54 Hawkens for $150 just to make my money back. However I'm keeping the .50 and will be shoot'n it. I handed all my sidelocks down years ago and sold some. Yup, when I could get my hands on a Knight, I remained with inlines. But I've been thinking the last couple years about some close range hunting here in the woods with a sideock in the last couple years.

Unfortunately a few years ago, I gave away about a 1,000 round balls, nipple wrenches and a box of patches :(

Took out that "new to me", used Hawken this morning. I assumed that the old boy that originally had them, most likely had them zeroed so.... I didn't touch a thing. I loaded up a couple film cartridges with 90grs of 2f and I had purchased a box of .490 round balls and some pre-lubed patches.

Now I was wondering just how well MY.... shoot'n would be with open sights, after all these eye surgeries. It appears that I can still shoot open sights :)
My bench sets at 100yds and I just left it right there, put up a target and started loading'er up. First round is the round to the right from clean bore........ gun)

100_4257.JPG

Good Morning,
Just joined the forum. I don't play with the modern muzzleloaders. Personal choice is my self built fullstock .58 flinter or Lyman great plains .54 caliber. Headed to Oregon next week as a matter of fact to chase Mulies with the flinter.

Good Morning,
Just joined the forum. I don't play with the modern muzzleloaders. Personal choice is my self built fullstock .58 flinter or Lyman great plains .54 caliber. Headed to Oregon next week as a matter of fact to chase Mulies with the flinter.

Welcome and good luck chasing Mulies..

Encore, That is a great find, and a great shooter! Good shooting yourself!

I have a 50 cal Hawken that used to shoot like that. It used to be the only rifle that I owned for years, do I shot the crap out of the thing. It was a ton of fun until the groups started to open up. Now it just sits in the gun case.

I gave all of my balls, patching material, and black powder to my brother. I would like to get back into the traditional muzzle loading someday, but for now I'm happy to shoot my Encore.

Thanks for posting!

I am researching information about copper bullets. With CA gov Brown signing the lead bullet ban in CA, other states may follow. My concern is what effect it will have on traditional flint or cap lock rifles ammo availability. Especially .490" ball for my .50 cal Hawken cap lock. So far, the data I have seen refers to sabot copper bullets which seem designed more for in-line muzzle loaders.

The BIG question: casting bullets. Cu melting pt is 1983F vs 621F for lead. That is a significant temp increase for casting. Would existing moulds and techniques apply? What about swaging? Ballistic coefficients?

A whole can of worms opens up.

Is the patched round ball history? Will we history for casting our own bullets?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts