Traditional Flinter?

RMulhern

If you wanted to buy a Traditional Flinter ML....what would you consider getting? Don't want a piece of junk....want a good one!

Thanks!

For a flinter, I would lean towards a Lyman Great Plains Rifle for a mass produced gun. Currently, I have a TC Hawken FL and percussion. I have fondled and shot the Lyman, and think its a better gun. The parts in the lock are better quality.

I am not current with who makes great custom traditional guns. I lost interest in sidelocks about 15 years ago.

I second the Lyman Great Plains suggestion. The one I have has shot 2" groups at 100 yards using the iron sights it came with. This rifle will have the slow twist intended for round ball; 1-60".

The load my rifle prefers is a .495" Hornady swaged ball over 85grs. (volume) of FFg Goex using an .018" patch lubed with mink oil.

Here is another web site. These guns are awesome. I have used their parts and stocks to build guns with and even some of their kits and quite frankly they are top shelf guns. You pay for it too but the quality can't be beat.
Jim Chambers Flintlocks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.