Tough stock coating non glossy

I'm not 100% sure if it will work on a painted surface, but I use SC Johnsons Paste Wax when restoring the stocks on my guns. After applying a finish to the wood and allowing it to dry, I work in the wax, it dulls the luster of the finish and protects it as well. Just an idea. I suppose you could always try a test piece.

JOH00202L.jpg

I dont want to lead you on a merry chase,but Im sure this lot will do a clear.
If not any 2PAK automotive clear with a good dose of matting agent in it will do the job.

I do like this stuff tho, it is very good,I havent found a solvent yet that even hurts it

Valspar Refinish: LIC Industrial Finishes

Dumb link!!! go to "enamels" then down to LIC43 thats the "matt" stuff you want to use

Regards 300WSMMAD

As far as the clear coat is concerned, you have two options.

1) You could spray it with clear, let it cure, then wet sand it and hand rub it out with a compound until you get the desired luster. Different grit polishing compounds and rubbing compounds will give you different final finishes.

2) Add a flattening agent to the clear when you spray it, and you'll get an instant matte look. You'll have to play with the amount of agent you use in the gun.

When I spray multiple stocks, I don't add the flattening agent because inevitably one of the stocks in the group needs to be a high gloss.

If you don't add the agent, and wet sand and hand rub it, you will want to only sand it down to 1000 grit paper.

When I don't add the agent and wet sand and hand rub to a high gloss, I wet sand down to 3000 grit paper.

+1 to what Joel said.

My only thought would be...

when using autmotive clears if you add a flattening agent it can get glossier after handling it.

also, my favorite matte finish is clear that is wetsanded and buffed ,then wet sanded again with 3M trizac 3000 grit paper and left as is. It can always be buffer back up if you don't like it.

Gene

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.