1. Jsmith410

Jsmith410 Well-Known Member

Today was my first attempt at real coyote hunting. I picked a stand to fit the wind and set out a buddy's ecaller and decoy and got in a box stand that was close. After calling for about 4 min I gave it a break. Less than a min later a black coyote came running across the field approx 25 yards from the decoy so 100 yards from me. I tried to stop him but he only slowed so I took the shot. I hit him far back and saw blood as he ran across the field. He ran into the woods and disappeared. I gave it about 20 min and went looking for him. I located a good blood trail that lead me to a ditch where I saw a handful of intestines. It was beginning to get dark so I went back to the truck and retrieved a brighter light. I tracked him another 250 yards and found more intestines. I finally had to call it and will go back in the am. I had no idea they were that tough.

I was shooting a 223 with a 62gr Speer SP. I think I may switch to a ballistic tip but my rifle shoots the Speer great. Hopefully I can post a pic tomorrow. He had a nice size white spot on his chest.

Now I'm going to have to buy a call and decoy.

2. geo4061

geo4061 Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! Hate you could not find him. I just spent half a day and half a night looking for a bobcat. Head or neck shots for me from now on.

3. Catahoula

Catahoula Well-Known Member

Give the 55 grain Sierra GameKing a try. Excellent coyote bullet.
    Thanks, Kirk

4. Jsmith410

Jsmith410 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think he made it to the river. Tracked him 45 yards from the bank and lost the trail. I'll have to give those a shot. I think in this case it was more of an error on my part than the bullet.

5. JOHNNIE WALKER

JOHNNIE WALKER Well-Known Member

Your using plenty of gun. Unfortunately things like that happen from time to time. Coyotes are interesting critters. 95% of the ones you shoot will crumble in thier tracks. Every once in a while you will get one that will spin around a few times and then fall over. But, from time to time, you'll find one that is some kind of a freak that just won't die. I hit one with a 240 gr HP out of the 44 mag one year. The bullet took it off its feet. I never found that one. I had one take two rounds from the 30/30 one year. I shot one 3 times one time with my 22-250. First shot was at 260yds, head shot. Through the scope, I looked like an M80 went off in a feather pillow. When I walked up to it, it ran at me, so I smacked it square in the chest. It flipped over and tried to run again, but the third did the trick. I was using 50gr ballistic silvertip's. That same load has dropped several coyotes right in their tracks at all kinds of ranges. I shot one with my 260 last weekend that left a trail of carnage. I hit it square in the kill zone, and the 140 gr SST did its job, but the thing didn't want to go down. I gut shot one at 250 yds a couple days ago with the same set up, and it never took another step. I could go on about this all day. The same thing happens with other game species also. I have field dressed deer that had nothing left of their vitals but yet still managed to go 100 yards. And Ive seen arrows wiz through the kill zone and stick in the ground on the other side, but never find the deer. The way I see it , animals are just like people, some are just tougher than others.

Attached Files:

6. kimberyote

kimberyote Well-Known Member

Nothing as tough as a coyote, IMHO. I have had one take a Berger 88 going 3200 fps right square in the chest, trotting @ me 2 35 yards. Took one more to finish him off. Had one take off after a Texas heart shot with a 130 Berber @ 100 yards. I too could go on. It really is amazing how tough animals are. It makes me recommit myself in talking only humane shots with
    Varmint Bullets, going fast.