Totally Over My Head

Novaman,

IMO the 260 is the best of the 308 family followed closely by the 708, the reason I recommended the 308 is because the 308 has more factory offerings when it comes to ammunition, also its easier to find and cheaper, plus you can buy match ammo for it. But if he was to handload I think the 260 would be the best bang for his money. Short action, good barrel life, better ballistics than 25-06 and about the same as a 270 with less powder and less recoil.

And you can find any rifle you want by almost any manufacturer in 308, can't say the same for a 260.

I believe for long range shooting a 260 loaded shooting 139 Lapua Scenars is extremely hard to beat. But so is a 308 with 155 Lapua Scenars.

Just my $0.02

-X3M

X3M,

......I could easily shoot 200 or 300 rounds of 300 mag in a day and be just fine. Try it, you might like it.

-MR

Maybe you could, but at that point you would need a new barrel. 300 rounds in one day is 1 shot every minute for 5 straight hours or one shot every two minutes for 10 straight hours, I don't think any barrel on a magnum can handle that.

-X3M

Well, I just got back from the range where I had a chance to meet Slafav and where he had a chance to shoot our guns. His first long range shot was at 400 yds. at a 8" round swinger and he scored a perfect center hit on it with my 6BRX. He then moved to a suppressed 308 and used it to score 3 consecutive hits on the same 8" swinger.

We then moved to 1000 yards where I had two 15" X 15" swingers and a chicken silhouette swinger. He scored some pretty good shots at the square swingers with my 6BRX. He appeared to be having fun so I asked him if he wanted to shoot my 300 WM (10 lb. no muzzle brake). He scored 2 solid hits at the 400 yd. swinger and pulled the 3rd., he admitted that recoil was starting to bother him so he went back to the 6BRX.

We had alot of fun, between all of us we had:
6BRX
6.5-284
308 Win.
300 Win Mag
Two 338 Lapua Magnums
416 Barrett

Slafav shot all except for the 416 Barrett, he said it looked like it kicked too much, which it did because I shot it a few times and recoil gets to you about 5 or so shots into it, but it sure is fun!

We then took turns using my F-Open 6.5 - 284 shooting 139 Lapua Scenars at 2950 fps. to shoot at the chicken silhouette at 1000 yards. It got boring pretty quick because it was actually hard to miss with that gun, so we went back to the other guns.

After the mirage got really bad for 1000 yd. shooting (102 degrees) we moved back to 525 shooting a 10" swinger where Slafav was scoring hits with monotonos regularity. I then got behind the 6BRX and scored 3 out of 3 at 525 and then shot a clay pigeon at 400 yards, that gun is super accurate. And they were just fireforming loads shooting 87 gr. VMAX!

Well all in all we had plenty of fun, can't wait until next month when I'll have my 6BRX loads shooting 105 Lapua Scenars, it should be fun like always!

Slafav took some pictures of our rigs, maybe he will post them in this forum along with his first time impressions shooting long range.

X3M
gun)

Well Slafav, we got a report from X3MHunter, the host, on the shoot so now we are anxiously awaiting your report as guest on your reactions to and comparison of all the guns you were lucky enough to get to shoot. Since you were the lucky one to get to spend time shooting all those nice rounds with X3MHunter the least you can do is give us an in depth report so we can experience it through you. I am particularly interested in your impression of the 308 and the 6.5 x 284. I have never cared for the 308 but am interested in your evaluation of it. I am getting more and more fascinated with the 6.5s however and have particular interest in the 6.5 x 284. How difficult did you find it to be to hit the 1000 yard target?

Sounds like it was a great session.

The session was simply AMAZING and I can't thank X3M enough for letting me come shoot!

Starting out with the 6BRX was a great opportunity and it made it really easy to hit targets at 400 yards, and was a great confidence booster as well. That rifle shot like a dream, until I shot the 6.5 - 284 of course.

The step up to the .308 was an easy transition and I loved shooting it. The suppressor was also really cool, but the rifle itself was great to shoot. My shoulder was feeling very good after shooting both rifles, so X3M broke out the .300 so I could test it out.

After two rounds, I felt myself start to flinch and missed the third shot because of it. Another shooting suggested a muzzle break and I know a recoil pad but I can't see myself shooting more than 20 rounds in a day, as of right now. Took a couple more shots with the 6BRX and felt nothing, which was a nice change.

I was then invited to shoot the 338 Lapua Magnums, the first of which almost knocked me off the bench I was sitting on, more my fault for not having a great hold on the rifle than the rifle. I got to take a couple shots with one laying down and that was much better, but still had more umph than I'd like for practicing the sport.

The 6.5 - 284 was an amazing rifle and made me almost drool the first time I shot it. There was barely any recoil and the rifle shot like a lazer beam. Like X3M said, it was hard to miss with that rifle, which didn't bother me in the least.

The 416 showed up after that, and that was a humbling experience. The venting from the muzzle break was the strongest breeze I'd felt all day. :D I didn't shoot that one, because I figured I'd like use of my shoulder tomorrow.

All in all it was a great day, and like I said before I can't thank X3m enough for the chance to shoot his rifles. It was a great introduction into long range shooting and I learned much more than I could trying to do the research on calibers and stuff at home or by myself. I'll post the pictures as soon as I can so you guys can check out the rigs.

Slafav:
Welcome to the addiction! The only known cure is regular shooting therapy. Acquire a rifle of your choice immediately! and proceed to shoot regularly at long range. Then, as the withdrawal pains begin to subside, purchase the necessary reloading gear and begin loading your own ammunition. There's nothing better than 'rolling your own'. Once the reloading kicks-in good, you will need to acquire another rifle and optics and range finder, spotting scope, weather station.......in other words, all you can do it feed the addiction and love it!

Be sure to post your pics in this thread. Would love to see some of the hardware!

Maybe you could, but at that point you would need a new barrel. 300 rounds in one day is 1 shot every minute for 5 straight hours or one shot every two minutes for 10 straight hours, I don't think any barrel on a magnum can handle that.

-X3M

Yeah, you would need a new barrel, but the point being, recoil can be mitigated.

Anyway, it sounds like you all had a great time and that is very cool of you guys to take care of Slafav like that.

Best,

-MR

Last edited:
Pictures! They may be too big, so if I need to re-size them let me know.

6BRX and the 6.5-284 side by side:

6BRX2.jpg

65-2842.jpg

6BRX.jpg

65-284.jpg

6.5-284 is the big beast with Lapua on the side.

Next up is the .308:

308jpg.jpg

3082jpg.jpg

Then the 338 Lapua's:

338Lapuajpg.jpg

338Lapua2jpg.jpg

338Lapua3jpg.jpg

And finally the 416:

416jpg.jpg

4162jpg.jpg

Some of the pictures may be mislabeled, so if they are please let me know and I'll fix them.

X3MHunter, How much does the 6.5 x 284 weigh, what length barrel does it have on it and what twist is it? Interested in the specs on the 6.5. That looks like a great experience for slafav. You guys can have a great time with your monthly shoots. Thanks to all of you for sharing it. This has been one of the best threads I have had the opportunity to follow.

X3MHunter, How much does the 6.5 x 284 weigh, what length barrel does it have on it and what twist is it? Interested in the specs on the 6.5. That looks like a great experience for slafav. You guys can have a great time with your monthly shoots. Thanks to all of you for sharing it. This has been one of the best threads I have had the opportunity to follow.

It weighs 19 pounds, I'm going to add 3 more pounds to get it up to the 22 lb. limit allowed in F-Open Class.

It has a 30" Krieger 1:8 twist bbl. I shoot 139 Lapua Scenars which shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 300 yards using H4350.

The action is a Lawton 7500 with RBRPLE (right bolt, right port, left eject).

The stock is a LowRider Stock by Richards Custom Rifles.

The scope is a 12-42X56 Nightforce BR held in place by Badger rings on a Lawton 20MOA base.

The rifle was built by Mark Pharr of Tumbleweeds custom rifles who is a friend of mine and happens to be a great gunsmith.
tumbleweedsrifles.com

Slafav, I'll let you know when we are having the next shoot, it will be fun like always. Also, did you take any pictures of my 300 Win.?

X3M

Plenty of people use the .308 for target shooting at 1000 yards. There are rifles that are better at that extended range, but for an out of the box solution, you might consider that Savage rifles. They have a great reputation as being accurate out of the box, have a good stock, trigger and can be set up for less than $1500 including a decent scope.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.