Totally Over My Head

When you guys talk about the difference in cost between calibers, how much are you talking about. Availability aside, which I know is a huge factor that I have to do the research on personally, what's the difference in cost between calibers. I know that's a complex question, but a ball park answer is all I need.

i live in san antonio as well and Durys is about the best place to look at long range rifles. You are also not to far from Hill Country Rifle in south New Braunfels and Rifles Inc in Pleasanton. As far as public ranges go there is central texas silhoutte club in new braunfels that you can practice to 550 yards. Send me a pm with your number if you would like to talk.
Phillip

It all depends on how much you will shoot. $3 per shot isn't bad if you only shoot 20 per year. But if you shoot 500 rounds per year it adds up in a hurry! All premium ammo is fairly spendy, but it is more so for the magnum cals.

Britz is right, and once you start shooting long range you will more than likely get addicted to it, which means you will be shooting alot. We shoot about 50-100 rounds every month when we get together, that's 100 in one day, I don't think you would be very happy with a magnum after that.

There is a F-Class shoot once a month in New Braunfels at Central Texas Silouhette Association - CTSA (about 30 miles from you) that I go to, it's fun and you can learn more in a couple of matches there than you can learn in about 2-3 months on your own, and by the way, you will meet many friendly and knowledgeble guys there. The first time I went there I just wanted to watch, they asked if I brought a rifle and I said no, before I knew it they had me shooting 550 yard match behind a full custom .223, after that, I was hooked!

I still say stay away from magnums at this point. If you happen to like F-Class you can shoot in F-TR which means you will be competing against 308 and 223, if you have a magnum, you will be placed in open class, which can be very humblling experience, specially because you will be competing against 6.5-47 Lapua's, 6 Dashers, 6BRX's, 260's, and of course the 6.5-284 Norma's.

If you get a 308, I am set up to reload for 308. You can come over one day and I will walk you through the reloading process and help you work up loads for your rifle, then you can load up 100 or so rounds in about an hour or two with my equipment and have enough to practice with for at least a month. I have done this for a few of my friends before they could save up enough to buy their own reloading equipment and learned enough to know what equipment they wanted.

Hope this helps.

-X3M

Last edited:
I can't tell you guys how impressed I am at your generosity. I am working very hard to convince my boss to let me off for the 19th and am getting together as much as I can for my first rifle. You guys have been more than helpful and I can't thank you enough!

Slafav,

Here's something you might think about. I just put some money down on a used Sendero 25-06 yesterday for a good price. I haven't fired it yet, but it should be one sweet shooting rifle, capable of taking deer to 700 yds and yotes to 1K. Now this is my secondary plinking rifle. My philosophy still is.... decide exactly what you want to do and then figure out what cartridge you need to do it with and get it. If you can handle a mag 2 years from now, then you can handle a mag now. If you like the idea of shooting something lighter, there are quite a few good optoins and an 8 1/2 lb Sendero 25-06 is a great way to hunt deer to 700 yds and shoot to 1k plus. It will give you about the same reach as a 308 with a little more zip.

If you want to shoot 100 rounds per outing like X3M and friends, that will get spendy and you will deifnitely want a barrel friendly cartridge. You will also probably want two rifles so you can shoot one while the other is getting a new barrel which will be a long wait with a good smith.

Welcome to a fun and addicting sport, Sounds lioke there's a lot of good guys near you to get you going.

-MR

BTW, after reading this, it might sound like I'm offering you this rifle which wasn't my intent. I'll be selfish and hold on to this one... always wanted a 25-06 :)

Last edited:
.... that's 100 in one day, I don't think you would be very happy with a magnum after that.

X3M,

I have to agree with ya if..... you dont do anything to mitigate the recoil. And there are numerous ways to do that.

When I shoot a 7RM i start wincing after about 20 rounds without a slip-on recoil pad and I start wincing after about 15 rounds firing the 300 WSM without the slip-on. But with the slip-on I have fired both for combined totals of over 50 rounds and suffered no ill effects at all, I could easily shoot 200 or 300 rounds of 300 mag in a day and be just fine. Try it, you might like it.

Hats off for stepping up to help out Slafav.

-MR

Montana,

If we keep 1000 lbs. minimum requirement for deer in mind, you cannot shoot deer with a 25-06 at 700 yards, actually, the 25-06 runs out at 550 (1002 lbs.) yards using Federal Vital Shock with 110 Nosler Accubond at 3100 fps. On the other hand a 308 using Hornady Light Mag with 150 Gr. SST at 3000 fps. will carry enough energy (1013 lbs.) out to 675 yards with the same drift as the 25-06.

So in reality, eventhough the 308 is still a better long range caliber, neither of the two calibers are able to take deer cleanly out to 700 yards, that's where you need a 7mm Mag. or 300 Mag.

P.S. A slow heavy bullet with reach out further than a fast light bullet!

-X3M

XM3,

I use expanding velocity (1800 fps) as a guage on deer. For elk I also look for about 40 lbft of penetrating momentum. If that bullet has enough speed to open and expand it has enough speed to penetrate a Texas whiteltail, IMHO.

I was looking at this the other day using looking at 115 gr nosler with a BC of .453 @ 3300 fps out of a 26" inch tube @ 3000 ft elevation (Montana base elevation) and I can get to 825 yds at over 1600 fps (842 lbft of enrgy)

The 3300 fps MV does sound a little optimisitc, but I think I can achieve it possibly one of several powders, including, RL17 and Retumbo.

In any case if we use 3200 fps out of a 26" barrel @1000 ft elevation we get to 725 yds with 1800 fps (889 KE). So IMHO, the 25-06 is capable of taking a deer @ 700 yds with a well placed shot.

If I get the opportunity with mine, I will report back. Will also be reporting on load development.

Best,

-MR

Last edited:
If I wanted to get q used one and try to save some money, is there anything I should be looking for? I know someone mentioned having the barrel sized or something like that, but what else can a poor gun owner damage through lack of care? Would it even be worth it to look in to used items or is it better just to start fresh? Same thing with a scope.

the 308 pss is basically the same as a sendero. get a sendero , pick the caliber. shoot balistic tips. mount a 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 leup on it. adjust the trigger. if you get a caliber "bigger:" than a 25-06 put a vais on it. if you go over budget you only cry once.

If I wanted to get q used one and try to save some money, is there anything I should be looking for? I know someone mentioned having the barrel sized or something like that, but what else can a poor gun owner damage through lack of care? Would it even be worth it to look in to used items or is it better just to start fresh? Same thing with a scope.

There are any number of reasons a bore might be damaged or shot out and you can not see it just by eyeballing down the bore. You either trust the guy who is selling it to you, and/or if it's from a dealer or pawn, you might see if you can get it bore scoped by a good smith who knows what he's looking for. You will probably pay a fee for that. Where I live, most guys are honest and it's not hard to get in touch with them if there are any issues. If the dealer wont let you get it bore scoped, then it's decision time. On gunbroker.com, you can find NIB rifles, but usually for new prices. But at least you know what you are getting. If I was buying a used rifle from a dealer or a pawn, I wouldn't pat anything near the market value for it unless they let me get it bore scoped. I would just tell them flat out, if I dont know what condition that bore is in, and I may be looking at a rebarrel, and that will cost about $600, so I will give you $XXX for the rifle. Keep in mind, if you get a custom rebarrel you are getting a much better barrel. Down side is more cost and wait time.

Sooo... dont be in a hurry. Shop around, check the ads and wait for a good deal. Also, there are a lot of good cartridges. The 308 is a good cartridge, but it will never be on my wish list as long as there is a 300 WSM. That's just me. I have nothing against the 308, but neither does it appeal to me. Starting with the 25-06 and working up there are a lot of great cartridges, but only so many in the Sendero offering. Sometimes you can find a custom barreled Sendero on gunbroker, or even here. The Sendero isn't the only good shooting rifle either, but IMO, they are probably the best out of the box, no need to mess with, LR platform available.

So read, read and read, and go shoot with your friends down there and read some more, until YOU know what YOU want. Dont let us tell you what you need and want.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.