Total Newbie here - opinion on Tikka

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by tackleberry45, Apr 15, 2013.

1. tackleberry45

tackleberry45 New Member

I am getting a T3 left hand in .308 with a Zeiss scope already on it for basically nothing (favor kind of thing). I believe this is a good starting base. Because I am brand new to this I would rather start on a solid platform and then look to to other platforms later. Given what I describe above is this a good platform to start from or should I start saving for something different?

2. Md reloader

Md reloader Well-Known Member

Sounds like the price is right. I've loaded for two Tikkas in 30-06. They both shoot 1/2inch, and that is just stock from the factory.

3. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

you are shooting at targets?? where?

4. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

really cant beat them... im guessing when you decide you want another caliber you will be buying another tikka

5. Md reloader

Md reloader Well-Known Member

At the range,at a bench with a solid rest.

W-W Brass
    165 Nos BT , .010 off the lands
    59.5 gr IMR4350
    CCI 200 primer

These guns shoot better out of the box than my Rem 700 with a 24in Shilen barrel.:cool:

6. roninflag

Md- sorry i meant to ask "that" of Tackleberry the original poster; what he is going to use the 308 for. ron

7. tackleberry45

tackleberry45 New Member

mid range deer, maybe a muley. Targets to get me tuned in to this whole new thing. I am picking this up as a new "sport" as it has always fascinated me. I actually have a brother that hunts nothern Wyoming with a .300 Wby. I just decided I did not want to learn on a hard kickin rifle yet. Also, and I really love him, he is one opinion and does things his way. Right or wrong I would rather learn form a community and get many different insights into this new hobby than a lone opinion. I am in walk before crawling stage.

8. albertakid

albertakid Well-Known Member

Well I have shot a ton of critters with a cz 308 and before that a tikka 7mm continental hunter and I'd say you got a bang up outfit to start. Nice thing about the 308 is it is a nice round to practice and hunt with and is affordable to shoot. I don't know many guys that put 500 or more rounds through a 300 rum in a year.

9. roninflag

308 is a very forgiving round in that it is accurate most rifle. and tikka has an excellent reputation for accuracy. the tikka is light so it is great as a carry/hunting rifle and zeiss is a nice clear scope . get some 165 or 168 balitic tips and some varget.