Total long range beginner

ucdengineer

There was a post a bit ago by a 15 year old looking for a rifle and you guys gave him some great advice so I was hoping you could give me your .02 as well.

Ive been shooting all my life (I'm 20) and have always had this urge to get into the 800 and 1000 yard shoots. The rifle I want to build will not be used for hunting, I've got a slick Savage thats been to hell and back and can still drive tacks at 300 and 400 yards. Thats going to remain my hunting rifle.

I've got around $3000 to spend but if I need, I can draw out a maximum of up to 4000 or 4500, but I'd like to keep it low.

I want to go with a .308, the .30 caliber is kind of a family tradition. The .30-06 is the only chamber my family has ever owned, despite having upwards around 20 rifles!

I looked at the Accuracy International rifles and they looked pretty amazing, but they were around 4500. Anyone know anything about these? They looked like they are pretty solid and claim to be the "most effective sniper system in the world". My dad loves the AI as well so if that was a reasonable choice I could probbably get him to pitch in a little for one. (Hes totally into the new military sniper concept.)

Anyways, those are my thoughts, thanks for your help!

Jason

Go full custom. Get you a custom reciever, McMillan or any other high end after market stock and a top of the line bbl. Then send your money to one of the smiths on this board (all my money goes to Ft. Shaw, MT) and you will not be dissapointed.

I would look hard @ the 7mm family if I were you though. Much better balistically than the 30 cal and won't punish you as bad either.

I would look at either a 7 WSM/RSAUM (pick either one), 300 WSM or something like a straight 284 WW to do what you sound like you want to do. All of thoes offer easy loading, tuning and very capable to produce for you at long range with good barrel life compared to a 6.5-284 or a loudenboomer. A 308 or 30-06 will do it; however, there are more efficient means to get the work done. I don't think any of the smiths here will disappoint you.

Where should I look to get a custom reciever that would be good quality? The cartriges mentioned look more expensive. I like the idea of a .308 because its cheap, common round that is very available. I'm not reloading yet, I have almost no space (I live in an apartment). I'm not sure if I really want to get into the competition concept. I'm not sure about long range shooting, but in most sports and hobbies at 20 your starting too late to get good. I also want a gun that will last a long time. I have a gun my grandpa bought when he started shooting competitively and I think it would be cool to pass on my rifle as well.

I would email one of the smiths on this board. They will work w/you on the details and order the componants for you.

Fiftydriver, Shawn Carlock, Chris Matthews, etc.

I would prefer you didn't contact Kirby (Fifty). He is currently working on a project for us and he doesn't need anymore work to slow him down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

J/K All of these guys will build you a first rate rifle.

i agree with every one getting a true custom rig. But it if your stuck on a 308 sniper rig and want to shoot factory ammo. I would take a long hard look at savages factory rig with the mc millan stock, oversized bolt handle and accu trigger. If you get a good barrel on it, it will do everything you want. And you will have $2000 extra to put in high quality optics. Can't go wrong with nightforce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i agree with every one getting a true custom rig. But it if your stuck on a 308 sniper rig and want to shoot factory ammo. I would take a long hard look at savages factory rig with the mc millan stock, oversized bolt handle and accu trigger. If you get a good barrel on it, it will do everything you want. And you will have $2000 extra to put in high quality optics. Can't go wrong with nightforce

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice. Get that Savage, have it bedded and I'd bet 10 to 1 that you'll have a .5" gun even w/factory loads!!

[ QUOTE ]
I would prefer you didn't contact Kirby (Fifty). He is currently working on a project for us and he doesn't need anymore work to slow him down .

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Bill let's hope Kirby doesn't read this post...LOL

Thanks for the advice about the Savage. I like Savage Arms. Also, has anyone shot or used a Sako TRG-22? Its similiar to the savage and they have it in .308. There was an article in Shotgun News a while back that gave them lots of praise. I really like the look of the tactical shotguns. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the fancy customs yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'd only leave a Savage for my grandkid if it were top class fit and finished, with a really great stock, was a great shooter.....................And the bolt fluted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why not something w/the Savage action, APS barrel in something like 6mm Dasher? Seems to me that would cover all bases. Plus the current promotion on the carbon wrapped barrels is hard to beat!

However, it doesn't solve lack of reloading capability. But apartment living didn't keep me from reloading. I built a gizmo 40 years ago that allowed me to reload on the kitchen table (read trailer furniture) with RCBS Jr. I still use it.

Also the savage or, whats the price of a new REM action, 350 or so, would allow for reloading investment which isn't all that much and still have $ for good glass and components plus a night or 2 on the town.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about long range shooting, but in most sports and hobbies at 20 your starting too late to get good.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We got us a comedian here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do what I did and I think you'll be pleased. I bought a Savage rifle from Bill Bailey. Put a tactical bolt knob, a SSS trigger, Farrel base, Burris Extreme tactical rings, a Super Sniper scope, a Choate Sniper stock for tactical shooting and a Sharpshooter Centerfire stock for LR coyote and p-dog hunting, and a Douglas barrel on it. Total price: $1480 (including BOTH stocks). Does it shoot? 1/4 to a third MOA on paper out to 500 and recently matched shot for shot with several $3000 plus rigs at Badlands out to 1K. Very versatile, very inexpensive and built just the way I want it. I'm telling ya, you won't regret it.

By the way, I started doing this at 40 and I happen to think that I'm not too bad at it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lots of different kinds of 1000 yd competitions. Designing a competition gun requires some knoweldge of which type of competition you want to get involved in. Before you spend a truck load of money you might visit a few different types of competitions and see which ones are to your liking.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.