Total Greenhorn ACI\ADI Field Software etc.

Propdoc03

Okay, I was all ready to order my ACI yesterday, not until I went to complete my order did I notice I had an ADI in my basket.
I have been researching and it sounds like the ADI is for use when you have ballistic software in the field? Can one be used for both methods, "rifleman" and "improved rifleman"?

This brings me to my next question. What is the most economical set up to get in the field both operating system and software??
I am looking at getting an i-touch and possibly a smart phone, unfortunatly the i-phone is only AT&T and I am not fond of there coverage, very shotty where I am at.

Is using an old cheap palm pilot still a possibility??

Sorry for the wide open questions, I am back to square one.

Many thanks!,
PD

Last edited:
You can use a Palm if you use the Palm version of Exbal but I've got to tell you that I've had Exbal for a looooong time but recently have changed to LoadBase and haven't looked back. It great and you can read about it here: Link--> Patagonia Ballistics - LoadBase 2.0 Download and Ckeckout The website still says version 2.0 but 3.0 is actually out now. Also, if you use the search feature of LRH for LoadBase you will get a lot of good reading.

LoadBase lets you do some amazing stuff and is an ivestment that I consider an essential one if you're serious about long range shooting. You can buy the software and pick up a used Dell on Ebay and only have about $200 plus or minus a little invested.

You may also want to read this thread as it applies to the ACI and simple multiplication vs. what you get with top of the line software. Link--> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/up-downhill-corrections-22768/

Hey Guys, thanks for the info. After reading some more it does sound like the ADI with a field unit would have the edge over a hit/miss. I still am foggy though. Does the ADI not give you the actualy angle??

Also, is xbal the only palm compatible software?

tks

Also, is xbal the only palm compatible software?

tks

If you haven't purchased software yet I would strongly urge you to consider what ss7mm is telling you. You may also consider field firing solutions. Exbal has a large following here which is why I purchased it, however if you get into the advanced functions of it you may be left wishing you'd looked harder at the other programs available. I know, I'm having some buyers remorse.

Exbal works on both Palm and PPC but I believe they are trying to get away from Palm.

Either Dick will chime in or a peak at their web site will tell you exactly. BTW I have another post pointing out where "I" felt Exbal is falling a little short. What I don't know yet is if Patagonia and FFS fall short the same.

Guys, my apologies but I am still not finding my answer or getting it. I do want to have something in the field that I can on the fly key in to get my results, i.e. , angle, conditions, altitude etc. From what I have read this had a distinct advantage over a card.
However, I do not want to be solely dependant on my operating system. Can the ACI be used for both applications or vies-versa?

Is there another economical unit other than the Palm that may work?

Thanks
PD

The ACI in set up in 5 deg incriments if I remeber right? but marked with cos.
anyway, it is easy to "know" the angle if you can count by five!!!
So basicly you get both with the ACI and with the ADI you only get angle.

With this said I don't even use my ACI any more, my range finder gives distance and angle.

Cam

PS. before everybody jumps on me about what if, I think a spare battery is better than a ACI/ADI.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, got a prompt response from Pantagonia who ppointed me to the location on thier website with the info I need. Palm is not an option.

PD

So, would the proper procedure, or procedure, be to use the ACI to get the cosine and multiply to get the yardage, key the results into the software of choice and be good to go? Could still use a printout\graph as a back up.

The other option would be to use the ADI and simply key in the angle and let the software do the calc? If so, then I would be at the mercy of any hardware/software failure. Is that a fair statement?

I do not quite understand how to us the 5 increment thing to get the angle out of the ACI multiplier?

Thanks,
PD

Dennis
The 5 deg thing I was talking about, the ACI has a cosine number for every 5 deg.
So if ithe pointer is on zero no deg, if it is 5 cosine numbers down it is 25 deg. if it is between cosine numbers just mentally divide between the cosine numbers. example 1/2 way between the third and fourth cosine numbers is 17-1/2 deg.
You just look at it and think 5-10-15-20-25-30....................

Don't put the cosine in the program just the deg.
The cosine is for when you have to go with out your program. (less accurate)

Hope this helps.
Cam

Here's a picture of my ACI from SniperTools. You can see how it's marked.
DSC02326.jpg

Don't just take the cosine value and multiply it or you'll be off quite a bit at longer ranges. Put the value in your software and use the result the software gives you. Check the link in my first post of this thread about using the Cosine Value.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts