torque wrench

col48

i have never used one for any of my guns.
what settings do you use for the rings,bases and action screws

and what type should i get
and where is the best place to get one from

thanks

Neal Johnson Gunsmithing has one of the best:

http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/ShootingTools-ss2.html

It's graduated in newton-meters but can be converted to inch-pounds with a little math.

Nice thing about it is you can adjust it to different values and unscrew the adjustment knob to release the tension on the spring so it won't take a 'set.' Different size bits are available, too.

Win. 70 receivers seem to do well at 60 inch-pounds. Remington 700 receivers usually do well with about 50 inch-pounds. You may need to do some tests to find out exactly what's needed for your stuff.

just had a look at the link.
thanks
i think i would like one that is in inch-pounds

can you get one that dose the rings and action screws,
or do i need 2
thanks
col

Checkout the following for a quarter-inch drive torque wrench:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluste...amp;scoring=mrd

Get whatever hex or flat-tip screwdriver tips you need for it. One torque wrench with a complete set of tips for your action screws is all you need.

I use 4mm and 5/32nds inch hex head screws for action bolts but don't torque any sight screws. I don't know of anybody who does torque sight screws; just snug seems to work very well.

Here's a link to Sinclair International's catalog and their torque wrenches.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi

I have both the torque screwdriver and the torque wrench from Sinclair, and have found them to do exactly what I needed them for.
To answer your question about whether two wrenches are needed, I found the answer to be yes. For scope rings and mounts, the torque should be in neighborhood of 20 inch pounds, while the action screws need to be somewhere around 60 to 70 inch pounds. While the wrench will go down to 20 inch pounds, I never like to use an instrument at the extreme limits of its adjustability. In addition, the screwdriver accepts hex drive bits, while the wrench is a 1/4 inch square drive.
Hope this helps.

After I posted my previous comments, I tried the link that I provided, and found that it doesn't take you directly to the page that you need. If you use the link, just put torque in the "search for specific items" window, and you will see the items that I referred to.

I first used a soil pipe 'no-hub' T-shaped torque wrench with the 3/8ths socked removed and the tip squared to hold a 1/4th inch drive hex bit. These wrenches ratchet at 60-inch pounds and it's about impossible to over torque with them. Works fine on action screws, but limited to only about 45 to 70-inch pounds. I knew someone years ago that dug out the sealant locking the set screws at the ends of the handle on one, then adjusted it for 45 or 50 inch-pounds.

1 newton-meter = 8.851 inch-pounds

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.