Torque wrench advice please

jimbo300

I'm looking at purchasing a torque wrench and would like to get some good advice on exactly what I should look for in a good wrench. I have been checking some out from Brownell's the 2 torque wrenches I have been looking at adjust from 10-70 in-lb.

Is this a good range or do I need a wrench that will go higher?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Jimbo, for all the commercial actions I know about, 10 to 70 in/lbs is good.
I don't know if any of the custom actions require more.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the input, you bring up a good question. I have 2 Rem 700's, but I am in the build process on 2 custom actions. However, both of these are 700 clones a Stiller TAC 300 and a Borden Timberline Mag. I am chambering both in 300 RUM. I wonder if the heavier recoiling chamberings might require additional torque?

Most probably not.

JE Custom, I think, posted something about pillar bedded torques being a bit less than other bedding methods. You may wish to search on it.

I have had 2 rifles that responded to 75 in lbs of torque, but all the rest liked 65 or less. If the stock has pillars, I'd start at 45 and work up if need be. If it is bedded and has pillars, that is still a good place to start. If it doesn't have pillars, I'd start about 30 - 35 in lbs and stay below 45.

JE Custom's last post on action screw torque is on pg 3 of the gunsmithing forum under that thread.

Check to see if Stiller and Borden recommend a torque range for their actions.

Sounds like some good project guns, Tom

Roy,

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that post, somehow I missed it when it was posted.

Tom,

Thanks for the advice. I do plan to pillar bed both rifles and I will try different torque amounts to see how they react.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.