Top Skills to Teach Your Kids/grandkids

crowsnest2002

Kind of figured I would throw this out there and see what type of response I could get. I guess it is more of a curiosity on my part to see what outdoor skills others want to teach their kids/ and or grandkids or have already taught them. Obviously most people on here are going to say:

#1 marksman skillsgun)

I concur but wonder what else? What other outdoor skills do you want to teach the young ones? Just think about itlightbulb and now the floor is yours.:D

Gardening
Hunting and skinning-processing the kill
Fishing
Marksmanship
Archery
Genseng and yellow root harvesting
Morell mushroom harvesting
Fire building
Camping
Respect for the land and water
All of these things my dad taught me I know I forgot something but with these skills a person can live and eat with very little resources I think that a lot of people would parish because of being ignorant in these skills if we ever lost our way of life. Imagine some people without smart phones and Walmart....

The thing that I work on with my son the most is navigation. I want him to learn how to get places and no depend solely on a GPS. He seems to not be blessed with a great sense of direction, but, he listens well and is learning. He is only 12, so there is plenty of time for him to figure it out. I took him hunting the other day and pointed markers to find your way back to the truck. He had a slight awe hah moment.

"You and only you are responsible for your actions" - this holds true in any outdoor activities as well as life in general.

We as parents/grandparents have the equal responsibility to set the right example by our actions as well as our words.

I continually ask them, how do you get back, {home truck camp} Know where your at, and how do you get there.
Safety and respect can cover so many topics, and actions.

#1 marksman skills gun)

No, marksmanship is not the #1 skill. Under the heading of firearms, safety is the #1 skill. My kids and grandkids memorized this very early.
http://cahuntereducation.org/members/jbanke/10commnd.pdf
Under the heading of "other" ... it's difficult to separate principals from skills -- I'd include outdoor survival, using hand and power tools correctly, understanding electronics and electricity, how to recognize BS when it shows up in the locker room or shooting range and how to cook. :)

I like the input so far. I would add a few:
Honesty
Tact
Importance of a personal relationship with God
How to work hard, and pitch in
Reloading
Trapping and skinning
How to get along with others
How to take care of what is yours and respect what isn't yours
How to drive a stick shift
How to back a trailer
How to respect women

...Shortside...

The basic guideline of this post is to really get you thinking about the kids/ grandkids.:D It made me think about just making time and not waiting for it.
0828141738 (2).jpg

My grandsons are 7,5&3. The oldest is just starting on the marksman ship part. But with all three saftey is the first firearm lessons. However respect of there selfs,others, the land, and life of all varieties is what I feel is most important at there ages. Firearms, hunting, fishing, and woodsman skills lessons will come as they grow. This progression worked well with there dad,and for that matter there grandpa.

I take a lot of this in honestly. Wisdom can be easily taken from others if you are willing to listen and I am blessed with the opportunities at my work to have people close to retirement to work with. I take in a lot of what they say.

Gun safety
how to properly shoot a rifle
how to sight in a rifle and estimate yardage.

Knife safety
how to sharpen and use one

How to build a fire

Basic first aid

survival skills

understand how to pack your pack for the unexpected without having so much gear you cant carry it.

how to build a shelter

where to look for food and fresh water

how to make yourself easily found in an emergency

how to make yourself unfindable

self defense

sence of direction and land marks

how to tie knots

there is much more but make sure you not only teach these things but practice them

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.