Top factory ammo choices.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by D1mens1onsh00ter16, Jun 19, 2013.

1. D1mens1onsh00ter16

D1mens1onsh00ter16 Active Member

I would first like to formally introduce myself. My name is David, I am 25 years of age and have in the past few years have taken up deer hunting. I bow hunt for the most part but only because I have never owned a long rang rifle. I am not new to shooting but most of my experience is with lever guns. I have recently purchased the T/C Dimensions rifle chambered in 7mm rem mag. After doing some review reading on optic choices I ended up purchasing the SWFA SS 10x42 MRAD scope per recommendation. I am now trying to find a good factory load to use in this rifle. I have done some research ( which is not the same as shooting I know) and I have started to lean towards the 154 gr Hornady SST superformance ammo. My primary needs are a good hunting round for up to 700 yards. I will also be doing some long range target shooting for fun. The group of friends of mine ( that I drug into this life long habit of shooting with me) and I have talked about getting into the reloading part of shooting and hunting. This will probably take a while to take effect so I am really looking for a good factory load in the mean time. Any and all perspectives will be weighed. Thanks guys............and girls?

2. D1mens1onsh00ter16

:D a little help guys? I am sure this topic is old news to you all but I would appreciate some responses. I have done search's on this site for the info I am looking for but came up empty handed or I would not have bored you all with this thread.

3. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

4. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

I use factory loads for barrel break in and in a pinch and always Federal Match or HSM. Both hard to obtain as of late.

5. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i like a variable power scope and while i have killed a lot of game with the 3.5x10 ; i like more power, i use a 6.5-20 now mostly. also , using factory ammo in a "factory " rifle you may go through a LOT of different ammo before you find something accurate. ammo loaded with the berger bullets and plastic tip bullets like the balisitic tip, accubond and sst are a good place to start. you do not say where you are except that you are shooting at deer to 700 yards. that takes a VERY Good rifle , scope and ammo . no doubt a 7mm mag cartridge will do it. i have shot 7mm in competition to 1000 YARDS. it is a great round.

6. roninflag

had you asked me - a rem sendero, pss or 5-r. or winchester laredo and a 6.5-20 leup would be a good place to start. next the ammo. start shooting and see how it does. roninflag

7. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Agreed, Rem 700 5R, PSS or Sendero with a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 would have been a better place to start, IMO.

However, that's just simply my opinion. I like the Thompson Center Encore, Pro-Hunter and the single-shot rifles, but I just have never cared for their bolt-actions. I'll stick with my Remmy 700's....Tons of aftermarket parts readily available, and it's cheap and easy to true one, and every smith knows how to work on one.

8. roninflag

i have a rem 700 adl sporter made in 1967, i got it cheap . i have a load with 140 accubond bullets it shoots .5 and even less ; one of the smallest groups i have ever shot was with IT and i have a 6ppc . it does not shoot as good of long range groups as my sendero. it kicks more too because it is lighter and doesnt have a muzzle break.

9. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Man, I'd love to have a 1962 Rem 700 in damn-near new condition.....That would be so awesome. I'd never shoot it. It would be a conversation piece only, since that was the first year of the 700.

10. D1mens1onsh00ter16

I shoot in southeast Oklahoma. the farthest shot that can be taken on a deer in our hunting location is 721 yards. I have put 40 rounds of hornady 139 gr sst superformance through it and have shot out to 300 yards so far. I put 3 rounds at 300 yards through a 2" bullseye. The scope is great. The SSFA scope has been the most impressive and has tripled my expectations, the glass is great and the tracking so far has been A+. The rifle is awesome as well. My buddies all shoot Rem 700's in 300WSM and they really like the action and feel of the T/C. The gun is definitely not conventional looking (in my opinion it looks F****** sweet) but once you shoulder the rifle it all seems to come together.

11. Deerhntr71

Deerhntr71 Well-Known Member

Hornady sst 139 grain. Shot my buck at over 300 yards last fall. Three shot groups at 100 yards at the range touching, Savage Trophy with accue trigger and Nikon 3 - 9 BDC recticle.

12. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy Well-Known Member

HSM has always been a really accurate load for me and probably my first choose on off the Shelf ammunition. Next would have to be the Remington power level III ammunition.