Top 5 scopes if money was no object

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by CJD, Apr 18, 2014.

1. CJD

CJD Member

For overall use - bear, blacktail, mule, moose and target if possible over 400 yards. I may be asking an obnoxious question as I am new to rifle shooting. Thanks for the info.

CJD

North Carolina

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

NighrForce ATACR

3. marinetowgunner

marinetowgunner Well-Known Member

All that stuff would be hard to do with 1 scope.

The bear hunting thing (at least the way I've hunted bear) usually works best with a 1-something. I love the Swarovski 1-6 for that.

For other hunting non dangerous game/general shooting....you can answer that question in a lot of different ways.

1. Do you want a traditional hunting style scope or something in the tactical style.
    2. FFP or SFP

Traditional Hunting (if money was no object)
    Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x56 with the BT and 4W reticle. In my opinion this magnification range is well suited to cover just about anything you want to do. It's a low light beast.

If weight is an issue then I would go Z5 either 3.5-18 or 5-25.....whichever mag range fit what you wanted it to fit the best.

Tactical Style
    FFP.....Kahles
    SFP....Nightforce ATACR

I have yet to find the perfect scope to do everything.

4. CJD

CJD Member

Thanks fellas -

What is FFP and SFP - am thinking tactical and any thoughts about reticles?

CJD

5. marinetowgunner

marinetowgunner Well-Known Member

FFP= Front Focal Plane
    SFP= Second Focal Plane

I prefer reticles that are broken down in .2 mil. 1/2 mil break down isn't horrible and I can work with it.

Big thing is to make sure if the reticle is in a certain measurement, the turrets should match. This is not always the case with all tactical scopes. I would call someone who specializes in optics and really understands what they are talking about. This is who i recommend:

Rifle Scopes, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes and Range Finders | Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss | SportOptics
    Nightforce, Sako, Schmidt Bender, Benelli, Swarovski, Zeiss
    Welcome to Mile High Shooting Accessories

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XgugJSqpoE"]Vortex Riflescopes: First vs. Second Focal Plane - YouTube[/ame]

7. CA48

CA48 Well-Known Member

8. DocB

DocB Well-Known Member

My top pick:

US Optics ER-25 5-25x58, ERIK Mil-Mil, Horus H37 or H59 reticle.

My second pick and my present scope:

Horus Vision Falcon 5-20x50, Mil-Mil, Horus H37 illum reticle, steel 30mm tube.

Both IMHO are the best on the market.

Good shootin' fellers!

DocB

9. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

I would like to get my hands on a March for some T&E, I hear great things. The ATACR is gaining a great reputation & should be heavily considered. I'm still rocking my USO & loving it. The EREK elevation knob is better than anything i've used so far from Leupold to Nightforce. Steiner & Kahles are pushing hard to make a presence in the current market, they are doing well.

t

10. 406precision

406precision Well-Known Member

The GenII 3-18x50 and 4.5-27x56 razors from vortex are supposed to be a lot of bang for the buck....can't wait to find out.

11. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

I went through this for myself a bit back. For me if you're asking about LRH I went with the ATACR.

I think your question needs more parameters. I like the way Leupold roughly divides into CQB, MR/T, LR/T, and ER/T. I'm not saying buy the Leupold, I'm saying think about it in brackets and compare.

"IF" my tired old behind tried another Mountain Goat hunt, the ATACR won't make the trip.

12. CJD

CJD Member

So here is what my rig is as of today that I will be taking to Alaska for Black Bear the end of May -

Rem 700 SPS in 300 win mag - I love this caliber and recoil not an issue for me.

Optics - Leupold VX3 3.5-10 duplex reticle

will that current scope address my hunting needs? if so out to how far 200 yds?

so I think I go tactical if I'm shooting/hunting over 200 yds?

13. matemike

matemike Well-Known Member

Many guys will say that good glass with 10x magnification is capable of 1000 yards. That's with lots of practice of course.

I'm no expert, but not a rookie either and I've found hunting with a Zeiss 3-9x36 very capable for white tail deer size game out to 300 and 400 yards. (7mm rem)

200 yards is not far in real world Alaska hunting areas.

14. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

He asked what the top 5 were, not personal preference/use...

Schmidt and Bender
    March
    Nightforce
    High end Leupold
    US Optics

Vortex don't even make the grade.