Top 10 Sniper Rifles

silvertip-co

The Military Channel is endlessly running a new program of their top ten sniper rifles. There's some goooood toys on there. From the old M40( still the best looking of the bunch) to the newest .416 Barrett( defines both awesome and accurate) and CheyTacs. Pretty cool show. Very technical too.

I ssen this episode and thaught it was very interesting. Also I was glad to see that the company building my first long range rig was included. :Dgun)

I saw that show too. I was very sad to see that the Chytac was the "best one". What a crock! the only reason it was picked was that it holds a long range record and it looks cool! There is sooo much more to a sniper rifle than the longest shot. IMHO one of the Lapua mags or a 308 should have been picked due to the practicality factor. Besides, from what I hear, the 416 is a much better rifle than the Cheytac.

How long does a barrel last on something like the Cheytac? Is it enough to train a solder on, or to keep proficient??? That is one of the best things about the good old 308. won't overheat the way those big guns do.

As someone who packed an M-40a1 for over 5 years I can tell you it was because of Marine Corps Sniper School that the M40 was much of a rifle at all. The .308 caliber is really a terrible long range round; anyone who shoots any distance with a true long range round knows that. 2600 fps with a bullet that has a BC below.5 is not much of a long distance combination. It was only due to the fact our students spent 4-5 hours a day on the range for a month that they were able to do much with the 308 past 600 yards.

As far as the rifle its self, the M40 is a nice little rifle, too heavy for what it is, but a quality piece none the less.

My last three years in the Marine Corps I taught at sniper school. I tried then to get the Marine Corps to look at something other than a 308, I was partial to the big 7mm's, but even a 300 Win Mag.....anything but the 308. My thoughts fell on deaf ears, the Marine Corps was in love with the 308, primarily due to Gunny Hathcock.

It is nice to see the 338's being used now. I still like the idea of a 7mm (standard mag, stw, etc) with a 180 gr bullet around .7 bc. I know there are more hot rod rounds available but when you consider how far you will actually be shooting vs. barrel life etc, I like the 7mm.

tx hunter-

I do not have any experience with them personally. However, I have read several articles including from magazines from the NRA and NAHC and every single one said their .5 MOA was BS....they were more like .2-.3 MOA!!! Very high praise from people who make their living testing rifles from major manufacturers as well as custom builders. Definately made me think about them building me one, now I just have to win the power ball :D

The one that they had on the show made by tactical rifles was in the 6.5x47 lapua. They make them in several calibers just for that show it was in the 6.5.

Greywolf

Those are the same kinds of things that I was hearing as well hope they are all true. I will be receiving mine some time this month. I will be sure to let you all know my experience. So far it has been very pleasurable dealing with them. The only thing I don't like is the wait but there is nothing that can be done about that no matter who you have to build it.

There is sooo much more to a sniper rifle than the longest shot. IMHO one of the Lapua mags or a 308 should have been picked due to the practicality factor. Besides, from what I hear, the 416 is a much better rifle than the Cheytac.

How long does a barrel last on something like the Cheytac? Is it enough to train a solder on, or to keep proficient??? That is one of the best things about the good old 308. won't overheat the way those big guns do.

Britz,
Did you see the Desert tactical arms? SHORT!! switch barrel/caliber bull pup. 243, 308, 300, 338LM all on one platform!
Desert Tactical Arms - Stealth Recon Scout

308 is 31.5" with a 22" barrel, the 338LM is only 37.5" with a 26" barrel.

I have fondled the system!! VERY SWEET!
Cam

Tx Hunter
I agree with greywolf about the .2-.3 on tactical rifles. I received mine about a year ago shoots and looks awesome mine is also in 300 wsm.

I saw that show too. I was very sad to see that the Chytac was the "best one". What a crock! the only reason it was picked was that it holds a long range record and it looks cool! There is sooo much more to a sniper rifle than the longest shot. IMHO one of the Lapua mags or a 308 should have been picked due to the practicality factor. Besides, from what I hear, the 416 is a much better rifle than the Cheytac.

I thot it looked like something the weldor next door put together with some pipe and leftover auto parts. Now the Barrett...that looks pure ISO9001 and professional.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.