Today from 350 yards to 850 yards

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by jkupper, Nov 2, 2013.

1. jkupper

jkupper Well-Known Member

Well, our rifle deer season starts in a couple of weeks, so I took the 7 RM out to do some plinking and check my drops now that the temperature has gone down. I checked my 200 yard zero after firing a couple of fouling rounds, and proceded to shoot a 9"x12" steel plate at distances from 350 yards out to 850 yards. I was pretty pleased with the results, even though at 700 yards I had to add a little elevation on my turret. I missed the first shot at that distance, and had to shoot a second shot to get on target. All other distances I connected on the first shot :D

I had a 15 mile an hour wind quartering toward me that was tricky. My windage holds on the Huskemaw were anywhere between 1/2 and 2/3 full value for a 10 mile per hour crosswind. I guess I handled it okay looking at the target, but it kept me guessing, continuously checking my wind gauge, and dropping sand to get a good gauge on the angle the wind was blowing from. In hind sight I should have used my wider targets, but the narrow one really kept me dialed in and focused. It was a fun morning, and I just thought I would share.

November 16th will find me in the field trying to fill 4 doe tags. I'm pretty confident after this morning gun)

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

Looks good! Good luck on your hunt.

3. markopolo50

markopolo50 Well-Known Member

Very good shooting! What bullet you using?

4. jkupper

jkupper Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

I'm shooting 168 grain Berger hunting VLD's over 65.5 grains of H1000. Using Winchester brass and WLRM primers.

The gun is a Remington 700 SPS, completely stock except for an ASI Maxi Brake. Scope is a 5-20 Huskemaw Blue Diamond.

I've shot it out to 1000 yards with good results. Today there was a strong mirage, and I couldn't get my range finder to read anything past 858 yards.