to hold or not

trb0

Just wondering what most of you do at longer ranges,hold your gun firmly or let it freebore?I'm trying to learn the techniques that the better shooters like. Thanks trb0

Yer talkin' to one of the world's greatest, yeh right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Even shooting light and heavy varmint benchrest with 2oz trigger I couldn't just let it slide. Always did best when held very delicately. Kind of like holding........well never mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Firmness with which I hold into my shoulder is pretty much proportional to the size of the cartridge. 222 = gentle. 270/338/375 = firmly but not excessive.

Cheek weld, pressure of cheek against stock, consistency is very important.

When you put your cheek against the stock you want the full view of the target in the scope. Neck stretching/compressing is not a good thing.

Trigger pull is most probably the most important factor. If you do a lot of off-hand shooting it IS the most important factor.

Just the way I do it. Not saying its right or the best. But hey, it works for me.

By the way it is a 13 pound rifle with a 2 oz jewell trigger with a sporter stock. Thanks for your input Roy. trb0

What caliber are you talking about. I let everything up through 7Mag free recoil. Only thing touching the gun is my thumb and trigger finger. I just got a new 300Wby with the Accubrake and I can shoot it that way too. My first brake. I can't believe how well that thing works. My old 300 Wby was Magnaported that weighed 8 pounds would really jump around even hanging on to it tight.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts