To clean or not every time you shoot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Topshot, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Topshot

Topshot Well-Known Member

I have a private range and I fire off a couple of shots down range every second day or so.
    I may only fire 2 or 3 shots, clean the rifle and put it back in the safe for next time. This is a pain in the butt and I was wondering if I was doing more damage to the barrel through over cleaning than just putting the rifle back in the safe uncleaned and then cleaning the bore say once a week instead.

What do you think?

..........................................................................................................................

I posted this question elsewhere with surprising results (to me at lest) so I thought I would see if the practices of long range hunters is consistent.

2. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Topshot, if the barrel is well broke in there is no need to clean that frequently, if your shooting every couple days, I would clean it once a month or when the accuracy fell off. You should see how good that barrel really is and find out how long it will go without a good cleaning. If your enviroment is very humid, and rust is a problem, then a fellow should clean and oil the bore.