To brush or no to brush

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fetch, May 2, 2011.

1. fetch

fetch Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure where to post this.

So do you guys use bore brushes on your long range rifles or not?

2. jrw1976

jrw1976 Well-Known Member

Yes bronze. Nothing more nothing less.

3. RDM416

RDM416 Well-Known Member

I'm very curious what answers you will generate with this one! My answer on my lapped custom barrels....... no, never.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I like to use a cotton swab on lightly fouled barrels to apply the bore solvent.

But on barrels with more fouling I use the bronze brushes and follow up with the swab
    for a final cleaning.

On severely fouled barrels (Factory Mostly) I use bronze and a strong solvent like the
    Sweets.

There are people that don't use bronze at all and that's fine but it sometimes takes a lot
    longer to get it clean.

I would recommend what ever method best suits the condition of your rifle bore. Also, a
    proper break in will reduce the amount of cleaning you will have to do.

J E CUSTOM

5. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Never a brush on any of my rifles. And one of them has a factory barrel. Did the Tubbs Final Finish process on the factory barrel when it was new and learned that the brush was not needed. The other barrels are Liljas.

6. justgoto

justgoto Well-Known Member

I used to not use a bronze brush, while getting my barrel to a mirror-like finish... One day I tried a brush after I cleaning my barrel to see if I was really getting it clean. I then realized that dirt can be polished to a mirror-like finish.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  7. Cthemfly25

Cthemfly25 Well-Known Member

Generally try not to. Might depend in part on the solvent you use. I would use a nylon brush for example with patch out to create a sudsing effect.

8. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I went out with a bench rest buddy a bit ago.45 shots that morning. Soon as we got back he saturated patch and barrel, then let it soak a bit, barrel tilt down. Then came back to it and hit it with a nylon brush,may have to double check that. He has record breaking kreiger barrels. After lunch he said he would patch it out, this was a new barrel with about 250 down it.Said he cleans about at 50.