To "Brake or not to "Brake"

I have a 300 Wby with a brake on it. It came with a cap so I could shoot it without the brake. I shoot 200 grain Accubonds through it at 3100-3150 so it's recoil is very similar. I have had it about 3 years now. To date I have never had the urge to shoot it without the brake. It is so nice. I can concentrate on my shooting and never have to worry about recoil. I have always had the time to slip on my electronic muff or slip in my earplugs. I use rubber ear plgs that are on a string. I wear my left one very loose and just push it in tight when it's time to shoot and slip in the other one quick. I don't have to wait on these to expand. I did shoot my elk last year without ear plugs and for just the one shot it really wasn't that big of deal. I do recomend you never shoot anything bigger than an air rifle without ear protection. Even a 22 will hurt your hearing.

I would put a brake on it and enjoy the best of both worlds by never taking it off. A big powerful rifle and almost no recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.