TMR adjusted to MOA

6.5x300

There must be a power setting on the Mark IV at which the Mil TMR rectical would become a unit of MOA? Like each line would equal 2 moa allowing for matched rectical and turrets.

Anyone care to clue me in as I don't have a LR scope yet and I'm torn between the Mark IV and the S3. A matched system seems like it would make sense.

Thanks

BT

If I remember correctly one mil = 3.6 MOA. To make the mark equal LESS than one mil you would need to increase the magnification of the scope above the magnification the TMR is calibrated for.
For example if the TMR was calibrated for 10X than increasing to 20X would halve the value and make the one mil mark equal to 1.8 MOA.

If you increase the calibrated magification by 1.8 that would make the one mil mark equal to 2 MOA and the half mil marks would equal 1 MOA.

My gut feeling is you won't be able to increase the magnifciation that much because they have probably calibrated the TMR reticle to work at near max magnification.

If you DECREASE the magnification to 0.9 of the calibrated mag eg 9X instead of 10X then the one mil mark will equal 4 MOA and the half mil equal 2 MOA.

The easiest way to do it is to make up an accurate 1 inch grid and place it at 100 yds. Fiddle with the scope magnification until the grids line up with what you want. 1.047 inches at 100 yds = 1 MOA.

Hope my ramblings make sense to you.

Stu.

I do not understand why Leupold offers MOA knobs, but then does not offern any MOA reticles. In fact, who does, besides NightForce? Greybull Precision seems to have Leupold making MOA reticles for them, right? There must be a few like USOptics or the new formerly Kenton Industries scopes (can't remember new name) or S and B maybe? I don't know. I would bet that it comes down to $ somewhere and I would theorize that the niche for true LR scopes with matched MOA reticles and knobs is pretty small.

Here's a question. Who knows the most reasonably priced scopes that do offer a combo of MOA knobs and reticle?

It would be interesting to figure out a magnification where you can turn Mildot into MOA to some degree. Probably not real practical, though, as outlined above.

Check out WOTAC scopes for matched turret and rectical under $400. Another scope I am considering maybe as a starter scope till either I can afford an NXS or another co. figures it out for less.

The TMR reticle is a lot like the MP-8 from IOR so as long as Leupold calibrates the reticle @ 10x all you have to do is be able to get to 18X.
kiwi3006 has done the math but forgets that the TRR reticle is marked every ½ mill.

The TMR reticle is a lot like the MP-8 from IOR so as long as Leupold calibrates the reticle @ 10x all you have to do is be able to get to 18X.
kiwi3006 has done the math but forgets that the TRR reticle is marked every ½ mill.

Actually re-read my first post, I did mention the 1/2 mil marks.

If you increase the calibrated magification by 1.8 that would make the one mil mark equal to 2 MOA and the half mil marks would equal 1 MOA.
Stu

Sorrykiwi3006, I should actualy read the whole post.
The real question then is @ what power does Leupold calibrate the TMR reticle?

Should be at the optics highest power--at least that's what mine is on my 8.5-25x.

Kiwi's right on, as basically reticle subtension is inversley proportional to magnification, assuming that the power ring is calibrated correctly.

U could always get one of Darrell Holland's Mil turrets for the Mk 4's.

Should be at the optics highest power--at least that's what mine is on my 8.5-25x.

Kiwi's right on, as basically reticle subtension is inversley proportional to magnification, assuming that the power ring is calibrated correctly.

U could always get one of Darrell Holland's Mil turrets for the Mk 4's.

Does Holland offer a reticle that is just an MOA reticle? The one he offers is great I'm sure, but I've spent some time looking at it and it seems like it just is a bit too busy with combining MOA and Mils. It seems that if you want MOA knobs and MOA reticles, your choice are pretty limited.

1 mil is 3.438moa @ 100yards, not 3.6...that would be inches.

Sounds like you need to set out a target with properly spaced marks @ 100 yards and find out...then you can let us know.

There must be a power setting on the Mark IV at which the Mil TMR rectical would become a unit of MOA? Like each line would equal 2 moa allowing for matched rectical and turrets.

Anyone care to clue me in as I don't have a LR scope yet and I'm torn between the Mark IV and the S3. A matched system seems like it would make sense.

Thanks

BT

Yes you can adjust your power setting on the Mark IV TMR so that the line spacing is in MOA. You need to be very precise however when measuring the distance to the target when adjusting your power setting. Here is the quick math to get you started. I'll assume the target is at 100 yds.

1 MOA = 1.047"
4 MOA = 4.188"
1 Mil (TMR reticle is Mil based) = 3.6"

So set up your target at 100 yds and turn the power ring down so that the 1 Mil line subtends exactly 4.188" instead of 3.6".

Now mark your power ring appropriately. I've done this method on my NF MLR reticle and was using the MOA holdovers out to 550 yds accurately. Just be very precise when measuring the distance so it is exactly 100 yds and your reticle is exactly 4.188".

Or reduce the distance to 50 yds (what I did) and adjust the values accordingly. I'll leave the math up to you.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.