timney trigger question

my82cam

I got a new timney trigger for my remington 700. It is supposed to be adjustable, I believe from 4.5-1.5 or 2lbs just by adjusting 1 screw. well, out of the box it was to stiff, so, I adjusted it down. I don't have a trigger gauge to know where the pull is, but I am going by how my other triggers feel that are set at 2.5-3lbs by a trigger gauge. I
f I adjust it down to what i belive is 2.5-3 lbs, when I work the bolt, the hammer will fire if I do it fast while closing it. It has to be adjusted to around 3.5(again, I'm guess) lbs before the hammer will stay cocked and not fire upon closing the bolt. Do I need to call timney and try to get another? or have I done something wrong? lol

It has been a long while since I have adjusted a Timney but I believe they have an adjustment for sear engagement (sure hope I am not confusing Timney with some other trigger). I think the instructions that come with them show the three adjustment screws, one for overtravel and one for sear engagement and the other for let-off tension. Timneys can be safely adjusted down to a level that is as "easy" of let-off as I feel safe to carry in a hunting rifle.

I did a little refresher on the Timney trigger and saw that the rear adjustment screw is the sear engagement screw and is supposedly set by the factory to be at a safe setting down to 1.5# of trigger let-off. You can contact Timney and see what action they recommend or you can adjust it yourself (not recommended by Timney). I would probably reset the sear engagement myself but have the mindset that sometimes I need to "straddle my own broncs".

I think I need to contact timney about this, but first I will get with my friend who has a pull gauge to confirm lbs. If I cycle the bolt fast, the hammer falls and fires the gun, not safe. lol

Just increase the sear engagement. Use the gauge after tho, see what the actual weight is. If you have sufficient sear engagement, (not too little nor too much) and see what it does.

Do a google search on adjusting the Remington 700 trigger and follow the instructions. It's very easy, once you get it where you want it, put a dab of loctite to keep it in place.

If I remember correctly, the factory is a 3 screw set up and timney is a 2 screw set up and is recommended not to move the rear screw. may be wrong, I don't have it in my hand and it has been a while. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.