timney trigger on a rem 700 help

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by tndan1975, Mar 7, 2012.

1. tndan1975

tndan1975 New Member

I installed a timney on a rem 700 adl and after i got it to fit in the stock and installed the bolts and i after to snug them down , I could not pulled the trigger or move the safety either. But if you leave the bolts kind of loose it works. I look at the trigger guard after installing it ., it looks like its touching alittle. Didn't know if this is the problem . Thanks for any info

2. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

coat the trigger assy with prussian blue or any lay out fluid, re install and see where it's touching.

3. tndan1975

tndan1975 New Member

ok thanks so something like Dykem Layout Fluid Blue will work

4. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

Might not have much luck seeing Prussian blue on a blued gun/trigger. Layout fluid dries and isn't the same stuff as Prussian blue. Use a feeler gauge to check for clearance between the trigger guard and trigger. I have had to shorten triggers before.

Bob

5. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

does it work before you put it in the stock? if it does then you know where your problem is. I installed a timney last night and had to modify the bottom metal for it to work perfectly

6. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

look for the "blue" on the stock

7. Topgun 30-06

Topgun 30-06 Well-Known Member

Same here Mike! I put one in a rebuilt 03A3 a few years ago and had to take some metal off so there was enough clearance for the trigger to drop in and move easily.

8. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

Does the safety work correctly in/out of the stock?

That's usually the first thing to bind. If that's your problem, use a dremmel to inlet the stock a little better for the safety.

-- richard

9. ofelas

ofelas Active Member

If the safety on a Timney doesn't work, it's not the stock that needs clearancing.

The crosspin through the trigger body sometimes sits against the trigger opening on the triggerguard.

You'll need to make a small relief in the trigger guard so the crosspin can move from side to side when the safety lever is worked.

10. sandbar782

sandbar782 Well-Known Member

Having similar trouble though it appeared that the bolt release is hitting the bottom metal bc it works fine with out the stock on.

I think I am going to relieve the bottom metal slightly where the bolt release button touches it.

Thoughts?