Tikka Target/Sporter

I need your help.

Do you guys shot Tikka Target/Sporter, action M595 in .308W?
How do you rate this rifle?
The bbl is 23 3/8, weight 9lbs, wood stock, with adjustable cheek.

Peter
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

PeterPan,

Seems like your thoughts ran about like mine did. Tikka/Target M595

Fine barrel, 1/2moa. guranteed,smooth adjustable trigger,multi-position adjustable stock, some of the options sought after in a custom rifle but in out of the box convience.

I figured a great practice rifle where I could get lots of trigger time until I decided which way to go on a custom Megga-Boomer.

Well I thought it was a good idea, and still do_Only difference was I was going for the 22-250 for varmit mist.

It took 2 months for my dealer to tell me that Beretta was no longer importing that model and none were available. My loss for waiting too long to order I guess.

Good luck in your endever I hope it works out, please keep me posted on how its going.

JS

"That dam barn door is further away than it looks".

Try Mac Tilton @ www.mtguns.com. Last I heard he stocked up on the Tikka 595's before the supply dried up. Good guns, but Tikka is moving from the older models to the T-3 series now, so discontinued the 595. No word if they will make a version of the T-3 for competition.

HTH,

Monte

Milanuk'

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm still in the market for one.Just on temp. hold.

"But", the wife drained some of the funds for new kitchen cabinets. I rather liked the pear boxes nailed to the walls.She was rather tight kneed about the whole thing. Next she'll want running water and indoor plumbing.

When will the demands ever end?

JS.

"That dam barn door is further away than it looks".

JS/NH
I think this Tue I gonna buy it. The gun is on sale for $995 CDN compare to regular $1250 CDN.
I wanna get in to factory rifle competition and eventualy get myself nice custom rifle with super heavy bbl.

Can you guys tell me more about .223Rem.
I have always shoot big cartridge, and have no experience with smaller ones.

Is the twist 1-12" good enough to suport bullets upto 60-grain or rather 55-grain?

What powders are good to start? H322, H335, Benchmark, AA2015 ???
confused.gif

Please reply.

Peter

The 1-12" in may stabilize the 60gr, it may not. At one point in time I was able to stabilize 64gr Bergers out of a 1-14" twist, but that was from a .220 Swift. A lot of velocity can sometimes help make up a little for the twist rate being too slow. Not enough to bank on regularly, though.

Try a box of 60's, but I think you'll find a wider selection of better bullets around the 50-55gr weights.

HTH,

Monte

.222 RF 14"* Twist for pistol barrels
16" Standard twist for rifle barrels
17"* Special twist for rifle barrels

.224 CF 8" For bullets heavier than 70 gr.
9" For bullets up to 70 gr.
12" For bullets up to 63 gr.
14" For bullets up to 55 gr.
15"* For bullets up to 55 gr. driven 4,100 fps or more
16"* For bullets up to 55 gr. driven 4,300 fps or more

6mm/.243 8" Special for VLD bullets over 100 gr.
10" For bullets up to 120 gr. and VLD under 100 gr.
12" For bullets up to 85 gr.
13"* For bullets up to 75 gr.
14"* For bullets up to 70 gr.
15"* Special for bullets up to 70 gr.

I'd say that list isn't entirely accurate/complete, but then most things for twist rates are kind of situation dependent.

From shooting several .223's including 2 bolt guns and 3 AR's, I'd say that a 1-12 should definitely do a 55gr, and most likely a 60gr. A 1-9" will stabilize most bullets *under* 75gr, and depending on the bullet, may do 75-77gr (i.e. a lot of 1-9" twist barrels will stabilize a Hornady 75gr BTHP, but not a 75gr A-Max). A 1-8" twist should do an 80gr SMK, but a 1-7" twist will 'make sure' of any of the 75-80gr VLD's as well. For the 90gr JLK VLD, use a 1-6.5" twist.

Monte

milanuk,
I've got this info from Shilen web site,
and I agree with you, testing different weights will give me an anwser to what is the best for my cal.
I can't wait, tomorrow I gonna go and buy that Tikka Sporter, was the last piece and hope they didn't sell through the weekend.
I've called them on Saturday, but shop was closed so, I will see it tomorrow.

Peter

Peter pan--good news--the one tikka 308 sporter i shot shoots incredibly. regularly does 1" for 3 shots at 300yds with old 190hornady match and 168smk's.

also the stock s very comfortable
wink.gif

give us a pic when you get it.

JB

There is a new version of this rifle to be released I think late spring to this summer in the T3 lineup. I have seen pictures of it and it looks really nice. As for the .5 MOA still in effect, I am not sure but I was told the regular T3's are said to be guarenteed Sub-Moa so I bet it will still be close to .5 MOA

Sierra's introducing a 65 gr. BTSP Gameking, 10 twist recommended, with a B.C. of around .280-.290 soon. I've got some of them now, and they look good.

I've got an AR with a 9 twist Hart barrel that does fine with the 75 A-Max @ 2950 mv.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.