Tikka T3 Stock Replacement

Pictures of the stock. The lug is part of the aluminum bedding frame.
The fit is VERY good. Paper slides between stock and barrel all way to receiver.
Stock weighs 31 oz on my trigger pull scale (old stock was 26 oz)

Attachments

• P7300531.jpg
    P7300531.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 178
  • P7300535.jpg
    P7300535.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 222
  • P7300538.jpg
    P7300538.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 187
Most aftermarket stocks are of better quality than Factory stocks. Most of them will let you accessorize more than factory stocks. It kinda like a Chevy going to a Cadillac. Most shooters think it helps improve accuracy.

from an accuracy stand point there are two main things that a good stock will do. the first is more ridgid. I know that when I use a sling to steady a free hand shot I put a considerable amount of force on the stock. The second is temperature/weather stability. If the stock is changing stiffness and actual size with heat and moisture it changes the bedding surface.
Injection molded stocks are teribble for changing in heat. wood is bad for changing in moisture. Fiberglass/Arimid fiber are the best, alluminum bedding blocks are great too.

Custom stocks can improve in various areas. Firstly the shape, most factory hunting stocks are designed for open sight cheek weld position. A stock purely designed for scope use will fit much better. Then material, as some have mentioned before composites seem to have the upperhand with carbon fibre being the high end.
These new materials and modern manufacturing methods in stocks can do more for us. Ultra light stocks automatically raise the centre of gravity closer to the line of the bore which in turn improves the way the rifle recoils. If one prefers extra weight this can easily be added very close to the bore line in the sides of the barrel channel and the top of the comb, once again improving the way the rifle recoils. Last season I made myself a remmy 243 with a carbon fibre stock that weighs around 8lb and is almost 100% balanced over the bore line. My 308 isn't far off either, both shoot very pleasant without muzzle flip.
edi

Pictures of the stock. The lug is part of the aluminum bedding frame.
The fit is VERY good. Paper slides between stock and barrel all way to receiver.
Stock weighs 31 oz on my trigger pull scale (old stock was 26 oz)

love the stock!

i have a varmint barreled tikka, is can the stock be channeled to fit?

also, is the fore-end of the stock flat for shooting off a bench?

Just got my B&C stock in yesterday. Im very happy with the stock, the forend is wider than the factory stock and has a better feel to it, but the barrel channel does need to be opened up a little.
DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Accuracy check!

My time for load development sucks.

Bought several brands, and my best:

Winchester Supreme, 180gr accubond, black coated, red tip (moly?)

200 yrds, one 1" group, one 3/4" group.

Will hunt with these. Develop load later

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless in 30-06 and a 2nd barrel in 6.5x47.

I ordered a Manners T4-A about a month ago. I am hoping to have it for Christmas.

I'll post photos when mine shows up, yours looks amazing!

Guys;
glad to see you have all started raplacing your stocks with an upgrade. Is anyone interested in selling their Stock stock?

My brother in law; who had all my rifles in his safe; had a house fire. One of the rifles was a Tikka T3 lite 243 Stainless Steel. The carbon fibre Stock melted in the heat. (my rifles were not covered by either of our insurances - not covered by mine because they werent at my house; and not covered by his because they were not owned by him).

I also had a Sako a7 7mm08 Stainless Steel in there too; and the same thing happened (along with another 4 other rifles which had timber stocks - including a pre 1900 winchester single shot rifle).

I am in Sydney / Australia, and would really appreciate any help.

Thanks
Colin

I'd be a bit worried that the heat didn't change any properties of the steel.
The hassle of shipping a take off stock around the world is almost a bit much eh. Nothing around locally? I've started making slightly lower cost T3 carbon fibre bush stocks without stippling. Possibly could make a glass version too.
If you are really stuck I'd have one T3 lite factory plastic stock here.
edi

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.