Tikka T3 problems

Terminal Ballistics Research website states that 80% of new rifles on the shelves today are not accurate. They will not shoot MOA with any factory load or handload. Bore lapping and action bedding are commonly inadequate.

The economic crunch has hit most firearm manufacturers hard, and in the past couple of years cost cutting and shortcuts have been the norm for most of them. The new Winchesters made by FN seem to be well made, but they are largely made by robots in a highly automated machine gun factory. FN is large enough to get past the human labor cost trap that most manufacturers find themselves in.

I am not the least bit surprised that your newer Tikka is not the rifle that your older model is. Sako does not have the manufacturing clout that larger companies like CZ have, which makes most of their money in gearboxes, gears, bearings and drive units for the automotive and aviation industries. The civilian firearm industry is small potatoes in comparison. Plus, the CZ and FN firearms sales to government agencies swamps Sako/Tikka by comparison. Fischer skis have survived by supplying composite components to the automotive and aviation industries. Many firearms manufacturers must follow similar paths as CZ and Fischer and look beyond their current markets to survive.

It's obvious without much emphasis from me that a lot of manufacturers will not weather this global depression we are in.

Terminal Ballistics Research author has some good pointers regarding the problems he has seen with Tikka rifles lately. Sako has used about every cost cutting technique in the book on Tikka rifles lately.

Terminal Ballistics Research website states that 80% of new rifles on the shelves today are not accurate. They will not shoot MOA with any factory load or handload. Bore lapping and action bedding are commonly inadequate.

The economic crunch has hit most firearm manufacturers hard, and in the past couple of years cost cutting and shortcuts have been the norm for most of them. The new Winchesters made by FN seem to be well made, but they are largely made by robots in a highly automated machine gun factory. FN is large enough to get past the human labor cost trap that most manufacturers find themselves in.

I am not the least bit surprised that your newer Tikka is not the rifle that your older model is. Sako does not have the manufacturing clout that larger companies like CZ have, which makes most of their money in gearboxes, gears, bearings and drive units for the automotive and aviation industries. The civilian firearm industry is small potatoes in comparison. Plus, the CZ and FN firearms sales to government agencies swamps Sako/Tikka by comparison. Fischer skis have survived by supplying composite components to the automotive and aviation industries. Many firearms manufacturers must follow similar paths as CZ and Fischer and look beyond their current markets to survive.

It's obvious without much emphasis from me that a lot of manufacturers will not weather this global depression we are in.

Terminal Ballistics Research author has some good pointers regarding the problems he has seen with Tikka rifles lately. Sako has used about every cost cutting technique in the book on Tikka rifles lately.

I would never bore lap a barrel unless it was a factory hammered barrel. Might hand lap one (I have), but why ruin a good barrel? As for the 80% number I'd have to completely dissagree with the notion. If you take out all the military, hand guns, lever action big bore guns, and 22 rimfires; I'd say that figure would be far closer to half that number. But if you simply add in all the AK's and SKS's I could see it. In the last forty years I can say that I've had less than fifteen rifles that wouldn't at least do one minute of angle in 100 yards. Most were lever guns and 22 rimfires.
gary

Both of my sons have Tikka T3 Stainless Laminates in .338WM. One rifle shoots about 1" with just about any load. The other rifle is newer and shoots about 3" groups at 100 yards.

I have tried a number of loads in the problem rifle with no luck and today I swapped out the scope and mounts and fitted different mounts and a Nightforce scope to the rifle in the hope that it was a scope or mount problem.

Unfortunately the rifle still does not shoot anywhere near as accurately as the other rifle..

Any ideas? The rifle seems solid in its laminate stock, trigger is good and the bore cleans up very easy.

Topshot - were you ever able to get your gun to shoot right?

My brother bought a T3 in .223 rem with the synthetic stock that wouldn't shoot we finally cut the two little plastic tits at the front of the stock that put pressure on the barrel now it shoots great.

Here is the complete truth...+1.

If you are dissatisfied try a real Weatherby Accumark.

My two Tikka T3s both shoot well. Both 7mm Rem Mags. But they both predate the 2008 economic collapse.

They're both in the Tikka T3 Lite plastic stocks and they tend to drift slightly - point of impact = from season to season. So I've purchased a Manners stock and will be pillar bedding one of them soon. Was looking for some bottom metal that would work with the factory clips to replace the plastic bottom metal, and that's why I was pleased to see that aluminum bottom metal is about to become available. Aluminum bottom metal to aluminum pillars to SS receiver. Hoping the POI will then remain constant from season to season, year to year.

I just took my rifle apart, and for other Tikka owners shooting 7mm Rem Mag or similar cartridges, you may want to replace the aluminum recoil lug with SS or Titanium. My aluminum recoil lug was indented from recoil over the past 7-8 years of use. Probably fired 250-300 rounds thru this rifle. Couldn't be doing anything positive for accuracy or stable POIs over time.

Turns out the Manners stock comes with a SS recoil lug. But I've seen both SS and Titanium aftermarket recoil lugs available, and now I know why. The aluminum lug isn't tough enough material for the more powerful cartridges. Probably fine for a .243 Win. Not fine for my 7mm Rem Mags shooting 168gr Berger VLDs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.