Tikka t3 lite

beyond

I am new to longrange shoooting and hunting. I have bought a tikka t3 lite chambered in 270wsm and am shooting 130grn barnes x bullets factory loaded fedrals. The rifle is topped with a bushnell elite 10x40 mill dot scope and the trigger has been worked by a good gunsmith to a crisp 2lbs of pull.I have been using the mills to range and checking it witha range finder and am becoming better all the time. The thing i need to know is if you all think this setup is able to make a 1000yrd shot provided I can do my part?

I have 2 of them. Both like factory 150 gr remington accutips. Both consistently hit a 10" gong at 1000 if I read the wind right. However ... if you really want to get serious about this you'll soon realize that you need to reload. It saves tons of money. For reloads I use 150 grain sst's and magpro. The accutips and my reloads have > 1000 ft/lbs at 1000 yards at my elevation. I'm not sure how they expand at reduced velocities though. Once my shoulder heals, I'll try the new Bergers. I'm thinking that they'll expand better long range. However the SST's have performed great on deer out to 570 yards. I haven't shot an animal farther than that.

I also have a T3 in a 300wsm and really like it. One of the drawbacks to the T3 is simply the weight of the rifle. Mine is a tack driver for a factory rifle, but holding it rock steady for really long shots is a little hard.

First, Welcome abord.

Of the over-the-counter rifles out there, the T3 is hard to beat. I have one in 270 Win. My rifle, with its' perferred handload shoots 1/2 moa 3 shot groups from a cold barrel. I use a 300 yd zero. With the tools listed below, I would not hesitate to use my T-3 Lite 270 Win out to 750 yds on a mule deer. For an Elk, I would stop at 450 yds.

Look seriously at the 150gr boattail loads for your rifle. I am not sure that your barrel's twist rate will stablize the hyper low drag Wildcat 195 gr VLD's that the guys are shooting in thier 270 AM's.

The first thing I would do is go get a Harris bipod. In order to take down a critter at long range you must become one with the dirt. The swivle head bipod and a pod lock is the go-to setup.

Then I would get a copy of EXBAL ballistics software, the highest quality range finder you can afford, and a Kestrel. The other thing I recomend is the outstanding video that Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge offers for sale on his web site. It saved me from making some "bad choices."

I really like my tikka t3 lite in 243. Everyone that I have talked to that owns a tikka is very happy with them.

I know this is an "older" thread but I just got a Tikka in 300 WSM. I would like to set it up for some Elk and big game hunting and try my skill at some Long distance shooting as well.
I am US army and retiring in Missouri where there are a few guys that love to hang out at the 1,000 meter range.......

Right now I have a Vortex 6x24x40mm scope on Weaver two peice bases but, have heard about certian MOA mounts to use for longer ranges.

What all do you recommend for distance ranges on the Tikka (factory loads, rails, ect) will these Weaver 2 pce bases not be good for longer shooting distances?

If your scope has enough "come ups" you won't need a rail. Not familiar with the Vortex scope. Assuming you are shooting a 208gr Hornday or 210gr Berger at about 2800fps with a 200yd zero, you would need approximately 27 moa of "come ups" to be center mass. Not sure of the specs on your scope, if you have a +/- 50 moa scope you're good to go. When you get close to the extreme of adjustment limits - some scopes get flakey.

Good luck.

If your scope has enough "come ups" you won't need a rail. Not familiar with the Vortex scope. Assuming you are shooting a 208gr Hornday or 210gr Berger at about 2800fps with a 200yd zero, you would need approximately 27 moa of "come ups" to be center mass. Not sure of the specs on your scope, if you have a +/- 50 moa scope you're good to go. When you get close to the extreme of adjustment limits - some scopes get flakey.

Good luck.

The Vortex is a Crossfire (MIL-DOT) 6x24x50mm............
I am looking at the specs and am seeing the following:

Magnification 6-24x
Objective Lens Diameter, mm 50 Linear
FOV at 100 Yards 4.0-16.5 feet
Eye Relief, in 3.1-3.3
Reticle Styles Mil Dot
TargetAdjustment Graduation 1/4 MOA
Max Internal Elevation Adjustment 25 MOA
Max Internal Windage Adjustment 25 MOA
Parallax Setting 10 to Infinity yards

The Vortex is a Crossfire (MIL-DOT) 6x24x50mm............
I am looking at the specs and am seeing the following:

Max Internal Elevation Adjustment 25 MOA
Max Internal Windage Adjustment 25 MOA
Parallax Setting 10 to Infinity yards

You will need a rail if you go with this scope. looks like a 10 to 15 moa would be the one to go with if you are set on that scope.

Good Luck.

I agree with wildcat bullets and the magpro powder. Also H-414 is excellent. These rifles are easily one of the best buys in the hunting world. They are light, accurate and made to hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.