Tikka T3 Lite Stainless vs Savage Weather Warrior in 270 WSM

Denny2277

These two rifle are about the same price. I like the Accutrigger and Accustock on the Savage. I like the quality and reputation of the Tikka T3. I'm looking for a long range hunting and target rifle. Please give me some pros and cons of each. Thanks and Happy Huntin!

Both are fantastic rifles! both have there plus and minus. Personally i would choose the savage hands down. I do not own a savage or a tikka but i know both are shooters. If you want to do some serious target shooting and long range shooting the savage is a great action!

I had a Savage 110 in 270 WSM (2002 vintage, with AccuTrigger) that was a very accurate rifle, even with factory ammo. It remains accurate even with its new owner. I'd buy another if... I had a chance to touch it first. The bolt lift on that rifle was horrid and I didn't feel like paying $350 for a time-and-tune when the available aftermarket stocks were a bit limited so I really couldn't get anywhere with it unless I spent $700 more.

The 2 Savage rifles I currently own cycle far better as do many new ones I've seen in stores. I've restocked them with Savage laminated stocks and am very pleased.

The Savage wsms only hold 2 rounds in the magazine. The Tikkas hold three. The Tikka has a detachable magazine (which is plastic). The actions feel quite different to me, so I would get my hands on both before buying. Accuracy should be quite good with either. The tikka is a little lighter.

When I started on this site I was looking to build the ultimate hybrid long range hunting rifle because what I had was a 270 WSM Tikka T3 lite mounted with a huskemaw and bedded etc. When I say Hybrid I meen take elk at 1000 yrd. I did the research and spent alot of money beacuse the ballistics were there !
It just wasnt going to work with a "clip" style gun. i was working on handloads and Berger bulluts that like to be seated beyond the length of my clip would function and allow me to feed. So theres one answer, allow your gun room for improvement! dont by clip style"not going to lie I love my Tikka and was sad when I was told the facts as well.

Other than that if you can get a bigger grain bullet to work for you I have always believed in the 270 WSM and look forward to your progress if you share with us!
feel free to msg me if anyone had questions about 270 WSM.
Check out my old forums if you are curious...

I love my Tikka T3 270WSM and shoot 140-165 VLDs in it with extreme accuracy.

JTBear is right about the magazine length being an issue. I created a magazine that works with VLD bullets and am building a more formal prototype right now.

This will work with the stock bottom metal.

If you're not worried about magazine length for VLD bullets, it will work without an issue.

Keep an eye on TikkaShooters.com - Tikka Shooters Home for progress on the new mags. I should have the final product ready within 4-6 weeks.

I keep wanting to try a Tikka 270 WSM but I just can't get past the plastic and the small ejection port. I would really like to get my hands on one and shoot it a bit to see if these were actually an issue. The Savage in 270 WSM is flat awesome with 165 Matrix or 150 BT's, I'm on my third barrel on my model 12.

Bigngreen. You can shoot mine anytime. I'm in SW Montana too.

Ejection port is perfect for the wsm and I have a whole line of laminate Tikka stocks on there way.

Bigngreen. You can shoot mine anytime. I'm in SW Montana too.

Ejection port is perfect for the wsm and I have a whole line of laminate Tikka stocks on there way.

Shedhorn is doing their big doings thing this weekend in Ennis and there was a couple Tikka WSM's that were begging to come home but didn't happen.
I'm assuming the barrel shank on a Tikka is a metric? I'm over in Dillon, if I'm over that way I'll drop ya a line.

You're right about the metric part. Many gunsmiths wont touch them because they are unfamiliar with metric threads.

How much were the Tikkas going for? I'm always looking for an excuse to pick another one up.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm leaning toward the Savage. I really like both rifles but since I can't afford both I guess one will have to do. Keep the info coming though. I really like what I'm hearing.

You're right about the metric part. Many gunsmiths wont touch them because they are unfamiliar with metric threads.

How much were the Tikkas going for? I'm always looking for an excuse to pick another one up.

Metric threads aren't a big deal, once I get a new lathe :D The T3's looked like around $480 ish on a 270 WSM and a 300 WSM if I remember right, there was an amazing 6.5x55 for 2g's.
What COAL are you getting with your mag?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.