Tikka T3 280AI project help

huckjare

So I am selling my full custom 260AI to free up some funds for other projects. I have been toying with the idea of building a 280AI out of a 7mm-08. From what I can see this should not be an issue with a good smith. Basically just ream it out to a 280AI. The main reason for building it on a Tikka T3 action is I can get a 7mm-08 with basically a long action since all Tikkas have the same action length. I would need to get a new mag, but besides that I should be golden, I think. Any pointer or anything I am missing? I am thinking about getting the super lite which weighs in less than 6 pounds. That would be the ultimate mountain rifle. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

I had the same idea as you instead I bought a tikka stainless 7mm rem mag. Cost is whole lot less ammo is cheaper brass is easier to get.

Felt recoil won't be a very noticeable difference between the 280ai and 7mm rem mag. I can't tell a difference between a 270 win, a 30-06, or 7mm rem mag. You can put a decelerator or limbsaver on it too.

To each his own. There is a huge difference between a .270 and 7 mag in felt recoil. If both guns were built the same, weighed the same, shot the same grain of bullet, the 7 mag is going to have more recoil. Guaranteed. But this is not the point of this thread. I am looking for advice from someone that has some experience with a conversion from a 7mm-08 to something else.

If I was going to go as far as taking off the factory barrel I would just screw on a custom barrel instead of re reaming the factory and reinstalling it, go with a 270 or 30-06 so you don't have to buy new mags. If it were me though I would just get 7 mag and call it good. There is a recoil difference but I bet you lined up a tikka 7mag and a Tikka 280ai it would be harder to tell than you think. I shoot a tikka t3 in 300wsm and it does jump when you let one go but it's a light gun so I expect that from it

I am not speaking from experience here so take this with a grain of salt. The Tikka T3 in 7-08 I think comes with a 22 3/8" barrel or there a bouts, by the time you have the chamber redone and the barrel reinstalled, you are likely to lose a bit of length, probably end up around 22" I would think. I think the case capacity of the 280AI would benefit from a longer barrel, 24" would be my personal minimum here to take advantage of a higher volume of slower burning powder.

I had at one time two Remington 700 mountain rifles, one in 7-08 and the other in straight up 280. Beautiful rifles that carried well and shot accurately for what they were. Both shooting 140 Noslers over the crony they were with in 100 fps of each other, so yes you will have a velocity advantage over the 7-08, but I think that advantage will be minimal with that short barrel.

Again, I have no experience with the 280AI, just offering a thought…helping you cover all your bases. Good luck!

Well I traded my rifle instead of selling it outright so this project is on the back burner for a while. But I was thinking the same thing with the short barrel. I had a guy tell me that he took a tikka in a 6.5x55 and reamed it out to a 6.5x284 and it shot lights out, so there are other options for my ultra light build in the future. Thanks for your advice.

-you will also have to change bolt stop
-7/08 is .451" at the shoulder, Ackley .457" and will not likely clean up on a rechamber
-284 win. is .472" and would work, will even fit 5 rounds in the 5 shot mag. which a mag. case will not

I've seen a couple of guys that have done exactly that with a tikka T3 and have been considering getting one myself.
They had great results, I have a link to their build somewhere...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts