3175 fps

RL17
150 Berger
61 grains
F215M primer
Norma brass
.040 from lands
3185 fps

I could push them both over 3200fps if I didn't care about abusing my norma brass.
In this rifle the two powders were very close in accuracy and consistency. I buy RL22 5lbs at a time and it performs wonderfully in alot of rifles I reload for, so it made good sense for me to go with the RL22.

I hit the 1000yd line with the 270WSM earlier today. Fired 3 rounds prone off the bi-pod from a cold bore. Vertical dispersion @1000yds with the RL22 load was 4 inches, horizontal was 8 inches. That will get it done on a big game animal.

Be advised, the aforementioned load data is MAX in my rifle. It is well over published maximums in most reloading manuals and there is nothing left on the table. A safe starting point would be about 6-7 grains less than the aforementioned MAX loads.

Thanks, great info.

I thought i would let you guys know what i have planned and you could give me some input, as im new to all of this. Long range elk and deer rifle.

Rifle: .270 WSM, Manners MCS-SL stock, Hart 26" 1-10" twist 4 groove barrel. All gunsmithing possibly done by Hart as well. Leupold VX-3 kenton industries LR hunter turrets. Deadnutz scope mount.

Ammo: 140/150 gr berger hunting VLD or 140gr accubond. Rl-17/19/22?????. Wolf primers. Norma brass. Not sure how many grains to work up from.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like your well on your way to a shooter!! I've just shot out my first 270 WSM barrel with just over 1200rnds this year and am really looking forward to a new barrel to shoot the 150 Berger and 169.5 Wildcats. Most of what I can find and in talking to the few people who have shot the Wildcats in the 270 WSM run them with great accuracy in the 2900-3000fps range and the 150's quite a bit faster in the 3250 fps range.
My current barrel is a 1-11 twist so I stuck with the 140 Berger and 140 Accubond, I ran the Accubond at 3341fps and the Berger at 3300fps and shot some Barnes 110TTSX at 3570fps. Once I dropped below the 135gr bullets the R17 started getting good velocity and really shined with the 110 TTSX and V-max, the 140's and up the better velocity came with Retumbo, H1000 and Magpro.
A properly built 270 WSM will be an excellent LR hunting rig, the 270 cal is just a flat game killing machine and you punch it up with the WSM and it really is surprising what it will do. I love mine on elk and deer are just easy with it, heck my wife shoots it very well and it is mild enough for her to put the smack down at long range, she put 4 out of five shots just under 10in at 1030yrds dead center on the gong and would have put all five there if I hadn't made a super bad wind call on her. The 270 WSM will surprise you :D

Well a few thinkgs have changed since i decided to do all of this. First im having a tough time finding a competant gunsmith to work on the tikka. Second, Manners only makes a tactical stock for the Tikka T3, im looking for more of a hunting stock. Third im thinking of supporting a local Oregon company and go with a Pac-Nor barrel. Any ideas, thoughts, advice? Thanks.

Well here is my 2cents. I bought a 270WSM tikka lite last christmas and just now got out to the range with it. It has a burris 3x9 so nothing fancy just a hunting rifle that will take anything in Montana. I bought a box of Federal Fusion 150grain. I would say I am a good shot but not great. Took me about 12rds to sight in and was a little frustrated because seems that I was all over the paper. Finally I thought I would stop messing with the scope a shoot a three rounds a see what would happen. Ya baby, two rounds touching and could cover all three with a penny. It was also a little windy. 100yrd off a rest. I quite after that but I still have a smile on my face. Now that I know it shoots straight I will start reloading as see if I can match that.

I still need to sight in a little better as I am one inch low at 100yrds. I think I will try to get it dead on at 200-250 as I don't think I will shot past 400. Does that sound about right?

I'm telling ya, those Tikka's can be real shooters. You may have a 1/2 moa rifle as it sits. You may spend alot of time and money on a new barrel and six months later end up right where you started. How does it shoot? Have you done any load development with the rifle?

Put a quality scope with turrents on that rifle, find a load it really likes, and start training long range. You will learn a whole lot and have a lot of fun in the process. You don't have to have a custom barrel or stock to have an *** kicking long range rig. You do however have to send alot of rounds downrange to become an *** kicking long range shooter.

You don't have to have a custom barrel or stock to have an *** kicking long range rig. You do however have to send alot of rounds downrange to become an *** kicking long range shooter.

Agreed. I am however going to start with a stock. The plastic stock the tikkas come with just doesnt cut it for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.