Tight Reamer

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by cuutter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. cuutter

cuutter Well-Known Member

Hello, I have only chambered about a dozen barrels and ran into a situation I haven't run into before. On a SS and a CM barrel the reamer got tight and was hard to pull out. They were 2 different calibers with new reamers. It felt like the chips weren't moving out of the way while reaming and getting between the reamer and the barrel. I have been using the dark heavy cutting oil. Anyone have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks
    Wayne

2. ak1251

ak1251 Well-Known Member

How often are you cleaning the reamer and chamber. I've found that my chambers come out cleaner/ smoother if I clean every .030-.040" while reaming the chamber. If you're not cleaning the reamer and chamber at lest every 1/4 -3/8" the reamer will sieze everytime.

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Who made the reamer?

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

+1

The reamer should be removed and cleaned as stated unless you have a high pressure
    lube system that will flush as you ream.

If your not having this in the beginning (Sometimes the pilot/bore fit is not good) Then it is probably the cleaning redjument.

The only other thing I can think of is spindle speed and feed pressure on the reamer.

Good luck.

J E CUSTOM

5. cuutter

Thanks guys. I do remove and clean every 0.050". I run the lathe at 90 rpm. Sometimes I will go up to 120 rpm. I feed the reamer appox. 0.005"-0.008" per second. Do you think thats too slow or too fast?
    Thanks again for the in put.
    Wayne

6. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I like to hold the reamer with a live center and a tap handel so that I can feel the reamer
    cutting, and 30 to 40 thousandths is normally max depending on the reamer.

Some reamers load up with .030 feed so I back of and feed .020 to .025.

Most reamer makers say that you can run faster than I do but I dont have a lube system "YET"
    and I run 40 to 70 spindle RPM to keep from heating the reamer any. also at these speeds I can feel the instant it loads up and needs to be cleaned.

I know this slows down the chambering job but not by much and my reamers are extremely
    sharp after a dozen uses.

Everyone has there way of doing chambers and this is mine.

PS: The smaller the reamer the quicker it will load up because of the depth of the flutes. On the 17 HMRs I can only feed
    .010 to .015 without cleaning.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  7. cuutter

Thanks again JE. It sounds like it's in the way that I am feeding the reamer. I will try feeding less and see what that does for me.

Have a great day
    Wayne

8. lazylabs

lazylabs Well-Known Member

I have only had that problem when the bore is tighter a couple inches in and the bushing gets tighter. It may be a good fit at the start because the barrel is a bit belled from lapping and then it gets tighter when you get quite a bit in like with RUM length chambers. I push the bushing up the barrel as far as it will run during the chamber job and make sure it's not going to bind.