Ticks in N.E. Pa.

Waynard

Hi Fellas, how did everybody do getting around the woods with all the deer ticks up in N.E. Pa. this year? I'm moving back to that area and was concerned. The last year I hunted there I came home to pick 3 ticks off myself and that was with tick spray on all my clothes and boots.

I live right in the middle of Pa , 20 miles N.W. of State College . the last few years have been very bad for ticks , almost scary bad . in 2014 I came home from spring gobbler hunting with 14 of the darnded things on me . this year things have greatly improved in the areas I hunt . I have not had a tick this whole year . so I'm hoping this is a sign that they are dying out .

jimbires, are you hunting the Sproul state forest? If so I've heard the woods were chewed up by the deer out there and the deer population was suffering. Is that true? Because that might explain why the ticks are there.

jimbires, are you hunting the Sproul state forest? If so I've heard the woods were chewed up by the deer out there and the deer population was suffering. Is that true? Because that might explain why the ticks are there.

no I'm not hunting there . I kind of hunt on the northern edge of the hunting units 2E / 4D border . I've had guys tell me how low the deer herd is in the Sproul forest area . most areas have the deer numbers greatly reduced compared to the way it was ten years ago . I talk to a lot of disgusted deer hunters . it seems about every year a few of these guys stop hunting .

I hunt archery and rifle . this year I was out of state hunting for the first week of Pa archery season , so I hunted 5 weeks of the 6 week season . I work , so my hunting is a few nights each week after work , and Saturday all day , I seldom come home on a saturday hunt . I saw 5 deer total , 3 doe and 2 spikes . the first day of rifle season I saw 2 doe , and heard very little shooting . the first Friday of rifle I got out around noon . I got a good 8 point that day , he was with a doe . so out of 6 weeks hunting I saw 9 deer total , 6 doe , 2 spikes , only 1 legal buck . I did find a couple ticks on my deer .

It's to bad about the way deer hunting is going there in central Pa.. You would think, that with all the resources the Game commission has that they could plant some really big food plots and bring the deer population back up. Also, my personal opinion, is that the Game Commission, state politicians, and mineral resource committee could get together and do something about the ticks. They all benefit from hunters and taxpayers money. Just my opinion.

They were bad last year, and really bad this year. I didn't have a single day of hunting that I didn't come home and find ticks on me. All the deer around us had ticks all over them. Just walking in the pastures at the farm you would get a tick.

I'm hunting Susquehanna county, near friendsville close to leraysville. My family has a
Dairy farm and we hunt the farm.

Darren127, got you on 2 threads here. Haha, hey Susquehanna county is putting out some nice size bucks. To bad about those ticks sounds like you fellas have them real bad there. Friendsville is just a few miles above Tunkhannock on Rt. 29. I used to drive truck up 29 to Mt. Rose and all over Susq. county.

We had 'em here in Michigan too last year but I think the cold winter (last winter) froze them out for the most part. I know it did in the yellowjackets... good thing.

I could go out in my woods I own here and come back with at least 2 hitching a ride.

Problem with ticks is Lyme Disease. I had to be real careful with my Coon Hound. He was a tick magnet.

Yep, Lyme disease is no joke! A couple of my friends have it and I could go into all the details but if you know anything at all about it then I don't have to say much. Bad stuff for humans and dogs.

I use " sawyer " brand insect repelant . yellow box , yellow bottle . it comes in a 24 oz spray bottle . it will last something like 4 washings before needing reapplied to clothes . not for on skin . I bought it from walmart . I didn't need it this year , I'm glad .

Darren127, got you on 2 threads here. Haha, hey Susquehanna county is putting out some nice size bucks. To bad about those ticks sounds like you fellas have them real bad there. Friendsville is just a few miles above Tunkhannock on Rt. 29. I used to drive truck up 29 to Mt. Rose and all over Susq. county.

Yeah we have had some nice buck coming out. Got to remeber tho they don't get big by being dumb. Haha Yeah we were probably 30 mins from montrose. I would say last 3 years steadily getting worse with the ticks. I know even walking in the woods or cutting fire wood and u bring some home.

jimbries, that Sawyer spray in the yellow bottle does work real good. Iv'e sprayed it on my hunting clothes and let them hang outside for a day and there is no scent on them. Also, that Sawyer spray does what it should, it keeps the ticks off.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.