Thumbhole stock for big boomers

hjl

On another site I read someone suggest thumbhole stocks for big boomers ie 458 lott 460 weatherby.
I thought thumbhole stocks would break at the hole with this sort of recoil.What does everyone think?
What do you think would be the better brake for a 458 lott a holland or a jp recoil elimator?
Regards
hjl

generally speaking i would say a thumhole stock is stronger than a conventional hunting version. for reducing the most recoil the jp is the best.

Not to sure about the stock breaking but if you shoot a 460Wby unbraked in a thumb hole stock chances are pretty good that you will break or dislocate your thumb !!

and I second the JP brake as being one of the most effective out their , but its big and ugly (to me)

Both my BMGs have thumbhole stocks,the brake on the 50 in the pic wasnt very effective and she kickt like a mule.
BOOMERCLIFF.JPG

The 375/50BMG makes a lot of noise but dont kick bad at all,I like this thumbhole stock!
cjbandeto.JPG

I would not recommend a plain wood thumbhole stock on a heavy recoiling rifle. From a practical use point of view, the thumbhole stocks are made to "fit" the shooter. The use of a 458 Lott or 460 Wby is to keep your rear out of trouble and for these uses a thumbhole stock is out of its element. Not fast enough to get into action in my opinion.

But for a thumbhole on these heavy kickers I would recommend either a quality lamianted wood stock or composite.

As far a brake, the 458 Lott is not a very good canidate for a muzzle brake. The reason is that muzzle brakes work off muzzle pressure. The higher the pressure the better the brake works. With the 458 bore, they have a pretty high expansion ratio and as such muzzle pressure will not be that high.

A brake will reduce recoil to some degree but nothing like you can expect from a smaller caliber, lower expansion ratio round. Even the 375 cal works much better with a brake.

That said, the JP will reduce recoil the most I would agree but **** are they ugly. The Holland and Defensive Edge would be my choice.

Personally, I would look into some mercury recoil dampeners installed in the butt stock if recoil is an issue with the Lott. They will help as much as the brake. also, a high quality recoil pad is also an extremely valuable feature on a big bore. I like the 1.25" thick Kick Eez recoil pads. These will take more bite out of the Lott then any brake will. They can be sticky though and hang up on cloths so if you get one and want to use it for dangerous game hunting, get some silicone spray and treat the pad so it is not so sticky. Kick Eez makes a spray for their pads that works pretty well.

Just my experience. I have a Ruger #1 in the Lott and love it. Now I just have to find a use for the big girl!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

"That said, the JP will reduce recoil the most I would agree but **** are they ugly."

Oh come on, there not that bad. I have to admit that they are not very stream lined though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.