Thumb hole or Pistol grip ?

JP Hunter

OK Guy's,
I have my new basic Rem. 700 in 300rum. It needs a new stock. I will practices glass bedding the cheep stock. I like the idea of the thumb hole stock, but the pistol grip like the A-5 looks good too. Not sure who makes a good thumb hole stock. I need to fined one to try at the gun store. My main concern is with the thumb hole stock. Does it flex and if so dose it mater at that end?

Thanks for the help:)

Thumb hole stock are very comfortable if they are made to fit your hand ,the A5 is also comfortable if its made to fit your hand. I would suggest getting a good laminated stock in the A5 pattern

We all know where to get those , right kids :p

The thumbhole isin't gonna flex any more than an regular desgined stock maybe even less due to its desgine. I personaly like the A5 style and getting one in laminate makes it better casue you can sand it to fit your hand perfectly , I have to do this to all of my to make my fat paw happy. Drop Joel Russo a line and ask if you can see some of his thumbhole stock and some of his A5-L's , hes a great guy to deal with and offers great products at better than reaonable prices.

Here is a pic of an A5-L that I did for my 260 , and I have another in the works for a F-class gun
SSG2601.jpg

glad I'm not the only one proud enough of their stoc to post pics of it.

Thats a sweat looking rig their , is that a Mauser action? What cal

James

Maybe we should just get Len to make us a sticky for Joel Russo Stocks.light bulb

It would save a lot of typing.:D

Yes, that is a FN mauser.

Another A5L

I had both and I will tell you I think the A5 is easier to get behind than the Thumbhole shooting off a bipod. Just Personal opinion. Here is a pic of my rencent completed stock.
IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a lover o0f thumbhole stocks, they just plain hurt my thumb.

I have 2 rifles with McMillan A5's and I believe that they are the cat's meow.

James:

I think that your laminate A5 is a work of art. NICE!

Joel Russo

Tyler,
The stock is a Joel Russo A5l in camo. I think it is Brown, black and green. If you call him or drop him a line he can tell you excatly.
I have said it on other sites, Joel is a great guy to deal with and will answere any and all your questions. I followed his instruction for finishing the stock and it turned out great.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.