throating question

splattermatic

the build is beginning !
i want to shoot berger 140 gr. vld's in my newest build of a 6.5-06. never have used bergers before, but the instructions say to seat them out to just touching the lands. to maximize case capicity, i'd like to seat the bullets to where they are just to the end of the neck. this would give me say an overall length of such n such, or at mag length, if too long for the mag well, which ever is longest.
given this oal, i will make up dummy shells to send off with the build. should i get the throat set where it would be touching the bullets at this oal ? or ?. if longer then i could possible not be able to use the mag, ie single load, or i could always shorten up the oal and still mag feed.

guess the question should be, do berger vld's shoot well touching ?

well hope the guys with alot more experience chime in but here is what I've found in the rifles I've shot vld's in most shoot best touching or jammed into the rifleing, one by as much as 12 thou. your gonna be tickled with your 6.5.
RR

Setting the throat length

Any quality gunsmith will have a short throated chamber reamer and a piloted throating reamer for the caliber of your chamber. The throat should be cut about .020 short of your dummy cartridge. Tangent bullet like to be engaged and secant bullets like to jump. If your gunsmith does not have a throating reamer with the appropriate pilots maybe you should get a new gunsmith. There is a learning curve to using throating reameres. Don't be a guinny pig. They cut like a knife in hot butter. You might talk with Dave Kiff at PT&G he makes and sell throating reamers.
Rustystud
a/ka Nathaniel G. Lambeth, Sr
Custom Guns and Ammunition.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts