Throating a barrel

Rckymtnshooter

I have a Kimber Montana in 300wsm that I would like to shoot heavier bullets in. With the loads I currently shoot and setting up a dummy round for a 200 grain eldx touching the rifling I have close to a quarter inch in length in my magazine box left. Would it be worth the cost to have the rifle throated to use the extra space I have.

IMO Not worth it.

Try the bullet if it won't shoot try a Berger hybrid. The hybrids usually shoot with pretty much any position in relationship to the lands.

I helped a friend with his 300 WSM. He asked for a LR bullet. I had some 230 gr Berger hybrid target bullets on hand. Worked my up with RL-17 and it shot accurately. Now for the weird part: Jump was huge, well over .100" Bullet had to be seated to fit and feed from his Browning A-bolt's 2.8" magazine. Bullet was buried in the case BUT it worked wonderfully.

Load for his rifle: 230 gr Berger hybrid target, Win brass, Fed 215 primer, 61 gr of RL-17. Velocity 2735 fps. If you attempt this load please work up.

+1 on AZshooter's response above.

Granted my load was with a 215 Berger, touching the lands (single shot) did not yield very good groups. My accuracy load on my Savage 11 FCNS 24" barrel that yielded the best result was .060" off the lands; 2750 FPS MV with 215 Berger RL-17 .5-75 MOA at 200 yards. Harvested a 4x4 MT muley buck at 425 yards on its first outing last year.

Good luck!

++ for AZshooter and Feenix. Bullets don't always have to "touch the rifling" or be "jammed" for best accuracy. It is a myth that needs to 'go away'. If you want to extend the throat on your barrel, because you have the magazine length to do so, I'd extend in increments, allowing for the wear to the throat that will come from use. I'll go one step further and suggest you try a different brand of bullet, like a Sierra game bullet. I've personally never had much luck with Bergers, although some have. Don't get hung-up on one brand of bullet.

I have a Kimber Montana in 300wsm that I would like to shoot heavier bullets in. With the loads I currently shoot and setting up a dummy round for a 200 grain eldx touching the rifling I have close to a quarter inch in length in my magazine box left. Would it be worth the cost to have the rifle throated to use the extra space I have.

Your issue is caused by that ELDX bullet having a bearing surface that is .630" long. You can either switch to a bullet with a shorter bearing surface or have your barrel throat recut.

I used Win 70 (wsm) action for 300WSM and had it long throated and I did gain little better load density. I gave that rifle to my nephew.

I'm shooting 200gr ELD-X in a 30-338mag also 212gr ELD-X.

Since it's going to be for all your loads I would do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.