Throat Problem

Jinx

Hello

I have a 264 Win Mag and do my own reloading. I recently saw a video by ammo smith on how to make your won AOL gauge.

The method described was to insert a bullet a fraction into a case and then push the case and bullet into the chamber. The lands will then exert pressure on the bullet and push in back into the case. Extract the bullet and measure the full length to determine where your lands are and calculate accordingly your seating depth.

I did the above with a Sierra GK bullet which is quite long. The bullet did not even tough the rifling. I preceded to color in the whole bullet with a sharping to see of the bullet even touches the lands, but still nothing.
huh.gif

Any inputs on what is wrong will be appreciated and a remedy.

Do I need to look inot re-barreling the gun.?

Brass is not readily available in South Africa so what other calibers will work on the magnum action. The rifle is an original SAKO Finnbear.

Hello

I have a 264 Win Mag and do my own reloading. I recently saw a video by ammo smith on how to make your won AOL gauge.

The method described was to insert a bullet a fraction into a case and then push the case and bullet into the chamber. The lands will then exert pressure on the bullet and push in back into the case. Extract the bullet and measure the full length to determine where your lands are and calculate accordingly your seating depth.

I did the above with a Sierra GK bullet which is quite long. The bullet did not even tough the rifling. I preceded to color in the whole bullet with a sharping to see of the bullet even touches the lands, but still nothing.
huh.gif

Any inputs on what is wrong will be appreciated and a remedy.

Do I need to look inot re-barreling the gun.?

First I would do a chamber cast using cerrosafe (Brownells has it). This if inexpensive and will show
the amount of throat and the wear.

Cerrosafe is a very low melting metal (Around 150o F ) and can be poured in the chamber after
plugging the bore with a patch or ear plug. (Only fill the chamber 1/2 full)

After a few minutes tap it out with a dowel or a cleaning rod with a patch on it.

J E CUSTOM

Does your rifle still shoot well?? If yes then shoot it and don't worry so much about the throat length.

What does your throat look like when you look down the barrel into mild light with the bolt out?? If it is hazed and shallow / gone for any signifacant portion you may be in for a new barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.