Thoughts on which action to order

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by canderson, Dec 16, 2008.

1. canderson

canderson Well-Known Member

I have just sold my 30-378 accumark, and I am looking to start a full custom build in a larger 7MM. I have been looking at the BAT HRPIC and the stiller equivalent (Predator extreme, I believe). Looking for any thoughts or opinions between the two actions from owners and builders. Is the BAT worth the extra $ over the Stiller. I am going to try to stay in the 10# range for a finished rifle with a nightforce. Any and all help is greatly appreciated as I am trying to get started, so the rifle will be finished by next year.

Chris

2. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

While I love the bat actions I have recently found that thier tolerances are a little tight for hunting. If bat and stiller are your only choices I have to say go with the stiller. You may want to consider Lawton also. I personally am a big fan of the Lawton actions, due to a little reloading accident and the way the lawton action held up.

3. canderson

Thanks Eddybo,

I think I remember reading your post several months ago. The only thing that concerns me with a lawton is the weight. I think (using my great memory here) that it weights a considerable amount more than a BAT or Stiller.

4. hglucky13

hglucky13 Member

what about the surgeon
    Actions - Surgeon Rifles
    they look nice, i have thought about these to build a big 7mm myself.
    later
    alan

5. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

I never noticed my lawton 7000 being any heavier than even a factory remington. I try not to pack the guns too far.....just shoot further:)

6. canderson

Good point Eddybo. I probably should be more worried about the accuracy than the weight.

Also, I believe that the surgeon actions are heavier than the stiller or BAT

7. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

I am using a Lawton 7000 action in a current coyote rifle build. Here is the info on weight.

Lawton action weight