Thoughts on MOA adjustments

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by pockets380, Jul 14, 2012.

1. pockets380

pockets380 Well-Known Member

Just wondering what everyone's thought were on MOA adjustments for elevation. I was just looking at the new Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 coming out this fall. It has 24 MOA of adjustment in a single rotation, but it is in 1/2 MOA per click. Just wondering if thats a fine enough adjustment to be precise for a hunting scope. I have been looking at the Huskemaw 5-20x50 which is 1/3 MOA per click. So I really don't know that its that much of a difference. Or then again just go with NF and 1/4 MOA clicks?

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

1/2 MOA at 1,000yds equals just over 6".

Is it enough? Depends on your intended target and range along with your own desired level of precision.

I prefer a finer level of adjustment.

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I recently put on a Vortex HS LR 4-16 on my rifle and I was a bit concerned about dialing in half MOA but it's been working very well. I'm finding it easy to make a slight hold over if needed, I really like one turn to take me from 100 yard zero to just over a 1000 yards in one turn. I've shot it out to 1450 yards and haven't been missing the 1/4 MOA. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/first-impressions-vortex-hs-lr-94503/

4. Bart B

Bart B Well-Known Member

do your math again

5. Bart B

Bart B Well-Known Member

do your math again

6. WildRose

Actually my mathis fine. My fat fingers however hit on "6" instead of 5".

So would you like to contribute an answer to the question posed by the OP or are you just grading other's posts today?

7. WildRose

Correction that's just over 5" rather than 6".

I still prefer a smaller fractional value adjustement than 1/2 MOA.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  8. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

I use MOA adjustments, but prefer 1/4. 1/2 might be okay if I just shot big game with my rifle, but I shoot a lot of targets and small varmints with my elk rifle, and just a few head of big game with it every year.
    Whether shooting small furrys or big game when I'm excited, I prefer to keep it simple and dial in my elevation without having to remember to hold over or under a little.

9. window licker

window licker Well-Known Member

i have nightforces with both moa .25" and mils .36" "i know these are not exact measurements but spare me the autopsy" both work fine. i like the .25 on precision targets and the mils for larger than moa targets at distance.

10. WildRose

Not generally such a big deal on holding over/under but on windage especially on prarie dogs and the like it gets to be very important.

11. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I use the Huskemaw with .333 clicks and have shot with other scopes with .5 MOA and mil clicks and found that for hunting game the size of coyote's and up the difference is acedemic out to 1000 yards or even more. The 5-6" discussion is a little deceiving. Compared to a .25MOA we are talking about a difference of under an inch to 2.6" at 1000 yards depending on which one you use, and "on hair" adjustments if needed are mindless. Targets and ELRH I agree that the .25 or less would be advantageous. IMHO.

12. Bart B

Bart B Well-Known Member

Value per click shouldn't be less than 1/3 the size of the shot groups one can make at any range. Otherwise, one may not see any change in impact if someone sees where a shot goes and a correction's needed for the next one.

Making sight changes from one range to a different one's also easier if there's less clicks between them.

Depending on one's skills and knowledge to use either mils, trig minutes of angle or inches per hundred yards, the click value may also effect their decision.

So, make your choice based on the compromises at hand.

13. Eagle Six

Eagle Six Member

I use .25 MOA and 1 MOA turrets, and recently tried .1 MIL. Most of my shooting is 600-1200 yards using the inferior 30 cal. Most of the shooting is stress time framed, with elevation and windage holds common place. I prefer the 1 MOA, but get along with the quarter MOA and the .1 MIL. I have not tried the .5 MOA, but can't imagine it being anything but half way between the ones I use the most already. Between them all, I think there is a compromise of advantages and disadvantages, better defined by the individuals training, skills and personal preferences.

Best Regards......Eagle Six

14. RMulhern

RMulhern Well-Known Member

:D:DThis is from an 'inferior 30 cal.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/7571580496/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/7571580496/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame] by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

15 rounds from 1000 yards. Matter of fact...it's 106 years old!