Thoughts on Dillon Equipments

A single stage press and the basic stuff keeps you hands-on with the reloading process and produce the better reloaded cartridge in the end. It is much more accurate and consistent compared to progressive reloading. I only use progressive stuff for pistol. When coming to rifle cartridges, I take me time since I want every shot to count.

Shooting competitive handgun for over 25 years, I kept two Dillon Square Deals running constantly over this period. Don't know for sure, but would estimate well over 100,000 rounds through both presses. Mostly 45ACP and 38 Spcl, but also loaded 45 Colt, 44-40, and 9mm. They are still running perfectly today. I have never used them for rifle work. I prefer a single stage Rockchucker that has served even longer but far fewer rounds through it.

I own a Dillon 550B,.. and have had it some 25 years now. It's an Excellent piece of equipment and made to last with a manufactures warranty that stands behind none. (as is all of their stuff)

It would be a fine choice BUT,... not for your 1st time reloading.

I'd strongly suggest (as was mentioned earlier) to start out with a single stage press until you get some experience under your belt. The 550 can be utilized as a single stage press,. and I do so for my LR/ precision shooting.

I also own the MEC 600 Jr, (shot shells) it too is a highly recommended piece of reloading gear and if you can get one of those to start-out with it will last you a lifetime as well,...

Dont know if it really is more accurate and if so i dont believe its enough to make a real world differnce. Ive loaded 1000s of 223 and 308 progessively that would easily shoot 3/4moa in my guns. Maybe it would show up if you were shooting bench rest comp but surely not in the hunting field.
A single stage press and the basic stuff keeps you hands-on with the reloading process and produce the better reloaded cartridge in the end. It is much more accurate and consistent compared to progressive reloading. I only use progressive stuff for pistol. When coming to rifle cartridges, I take me time since I want every shot to count.

Thanks for the info! I will be starting with a single manual station to learn and also do some of my large cals in a match grade.

Thanks for the input

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.