Thoughts / advice on 223 load data

camotruck

I find myself in a situation where I want to use CCI450, a magnum small rifle primer, H223CFE and 62gr Hornady HPBT or / and 64gr Nosler bonded PP using LC brass.

I've found load info for everything except for the magnum primer and reall want to use them because I have an abundance of them.

They will be fired from an AR 15 with a Wylde chamber.

My thought is to start with known load data and reduce loads by 20% to make up for the Mag primer.

Thanks Camo

I don't recall there being much difference between the 400's and 450's when I tried them. I would think a 10% reduction would keep you on the safe side and work up. It may make no diffrence at all if your using 223 rem load data with your Wylde chamber.

I find myself in a situation where I want to use CCI450, a magnum small rifle primer, H223CFE and 62gr Hornady HPBT or / and 64gr Nosler bonded PP using LC brass.

I've found load info for everything except for the magnum primer and reall want to use them because I have an abundance of them.

My thought is to start with known load data and reduce loads by 20% to make up for the Mag primer.

Thanks Camo

You are way overthinking this. Use book data and work up from a starting load.

I would, as I've done many times before, but there is no book data using the CCI 450 primers in a 223 with the H223CFE. Added to that I accidentally used some mag primers on some 22 Hornet loads and split a case. The only one I fired.

Camo

You are way overthinking this. Use book data and work up from a starting load.

Are you saying use book data and the CCI450 primer in place of the standard primer and start with minimum loads? That's what I was going to do, but after splitting that Hornet case and figuring out why, I was a little concerned about the small case ...

Thanks camo

Are you saying use book data and the CCI450 primer in place of the standard primer and start with minimum loads? That's what I was going to do, but after splitting that Hornet case and figuring out why, I was a little concerned about the small case ...

Thanks camo

Yes. The starting loads from book data already have the necessary margin of safety. Charges lower than the listed starting loads can also present safety hazards. Start low and work up carefully, watching for pressure signs. You will be fine.

Expect to use 1/2 to 1 grain less powder with the CCI 450 to generate comparable pressure & velocity to other primers. I recently read an article where a guy reported on some extensive testing with his .223 with a variety of powders and primers. Those were his fairly consistent findings.

I use CCI 450's in my 223 bolt gun. I'm shooting Hornady 60 grain V-Max with 24.8 grains Varget. 0 issues, great accuracy, and about 2950 fps.

I tend to think there really isn't much difference between the 400's and 450's. BUT, as others have stated, work your way up. :)

Thanks for the replys guys. I would have wasted time and money being over cautious. Now to start using some of these 19,000 primers.

Camo

Thanks Camo

223 CFE is a double base ball powder and it is recommended to use a magnum primer.

And the CCI 450 is the same primer as the CCI No. 41 military primer but without the shorter anvil.

CCI Ammunition - Primer Details

• Mil-spec sensitivity
  • Initiator mix optimized for ball/spherical propellants
  • Available in large (No.34) and small (No. 41) rifle
  • Use the same data as CCI Magnum primers
So just start low as normal and work up a load for your AR15.

1Federal205M_zpseb8ed0a5.jpg

4WinchesterWSR_zps52ffe213.jpg

I use the same primer that Remington used for all its 5.56 ammunition when it ran Lake City and used Winchester ball powders.

5Remington75_zps2b532d7c.jpg

The article I read determined that the CCI 450 generated higher MV than the Rem 7 1/2 primers, with equal powder charges. I think that means the CCI 450 jump-started the powder at a faster rate than the 7 1/2s.

He collected lots of MV, ES/SD information with 4-5 different primers and several different powders. He was testing the Nosler 64gr Bonded Performance, flat nose bullet, that's constructed similar to the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet. When all was said and done, the author got best results/consistency with the Rem 7 1/2 primer with CFE223 powder, compared to the other primers he tested. There was enough testing performed that I'm leaning toward the Rem 7 1/2s when I next purchase .223 primers.

Not trying to be the downer on the CCI 450s, since you have so many of them. But the CCI 450 was about his worst performing primer when it came to consistency, ES/SD, and accuracy with the 64gr Nosler Bonded solid base bullet.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I just located the link to the article from AR15.com. I saved (bookmarked) the link, since I'd purchased some of these Nosler bullets and will be loading some myself fairly soon. I think you stated that this is one of the two bullets you'll be loading. If so, this article will have a lot of good reference material to guide you in working up your own loads.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=639834

Look for the Post from "380guy"

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.