thought I needed a new barrel

Tnwhip

Was having trouble with my rifle throwing flyers. I was shooting 1/2 moa last year this spring I shot some groups and they had grown to 1 1/2 to two inches. the weather got so hot and humid I quit shooting for the summer and put it in the safe. I got it out and loaded some reworked brass and still 1 1/2 some times a flyer much worse. I tried seating the bullet out farther and seated in, same thing. Upped the charge, lowered the charge. Then I changed primers from Winchester to CCI. lightbulb Bingo that was it. Must have had a bad batch of primers. Never had that problem with the Winchester primers before. I have a bunch of them too.

Was having trouble with my rifle throwing flyers. I was shooting 1/2 moa last year this spring I shot some groups and they had grown to 1 1/2 to two inches. the weather got so hot and humid I quit shooting for the summer and put it in the safe. I got it out and loaded some reworked brass and still 1 1/2 some times a flyer much worse. I tried seating the bullet out farther and seated in, same thing. Upped the charge, lowered the charge. Then I changed primers from Winchester to CCI. lightbulb Bingo that was it. Must have had a bad batch of primers. Never had that problem with the Winchester primers before. I have a bunch of them too.
Hmm, I've never had a problem with the Winchesters or Remington primers. CCI had a bad run a couple of years ago that were very thin and brittle and even with mild loads were blowing holes through the firing pin hole. One of the companies I buy factory ammo from had the same problem with a bunch of CCI's as well and ended up replacing a bunch of rather expensive ammo for me.

I guess that just goes to show that any of the major manufacturers can have a bad run from time to time.

Well it did it again. My old load for my 243 went to he'll . I switched from the winchester to cci and she went back to 1/2 moa again.
I don't know what is wrong with my winchester primers they use to shoot good. After hunting season I will open another brick and see what happenes.

Tnwhip,

My empathy to you. It's very frustrating to have a shooter go south and then having to figure out cause.

I believe CCI primers are manufactured by Federal. Federal is my preferred primer. I do have CCI for my .270 Win.

I've bought W-W brass about a year ago. I was so disappointed in quality that I immediately bought a hundred Norma .270 Win and a hundred 7MM Rem Mag. Then Wideners blew out Federal .270 Win Premium bass at very reasonable price. So I bough five bags. I haven't loaded with them yet, but they appear to be of exceptional quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.