Those Were the Days

...I would like to keep a few around that part of the world so i will always have something to eat.

chuck,
if you could give me the gps coordinates of your hogs i'll be glad to keep you in ham sammiches for years to come.

coy,
bb is the expert in everything nv. i only know about my scope, but i'll put something together. might take me a while...

chuck,
if you could give me the gps coordinates of your hogs i'll be glad to keep you in ham sammiches for years to come.

coy,
bb is the expert in everything nv. i only know about my scope, but i'll put something together. might take me a while...

I think coy already helps himself to "my" hogs, You might as well too......gun)
I am a transplant to the area and dont have the deep seeded hatred toward the hogs the locals do. Get rich on peanuts or get rich on cotton......whats the difference? I will continue to be a poor hay farmer and will probably cry when the hogs are gone!:D
Coyotes......thats a different story!!!

Chuck

Ps. Coy call me. 806-223-8937

coy must be at sharp shooters purchasing a night scope lol

here's my take on night vision. first off, I'm no expert and I'm not sure if what I'm about to say is correct. it is just my understanding of some of the differences in nv tubes. features like line pairs, signal to noise ratio and halo are some of the factors that impact image quality. I believe the halo value is important depending on how big the caliber is you will be shooting. There are other features like gain and auto gating that I don't think were available when I got mine, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I think all scopes can have these intensity options now.

what I do know is that the tube magnifies light, so some moon or star light is necessary but regular white light from flashlights, etc will blind me. Sometimes on dark nights I use infrared light. It works like a regular spotlight to the naked eye in that fog or rain will reflect the light back and blind you. On a calm night the smoke trickling out of my suppressor will reflect ir light back at me too.

my scope is 4 power. When I have three quarter moon or more over head, I can easily see across two circles (over a mile). I may not be able to tell what I'm looking at until i get closer, but I can tell something's there. I like the moon overhead because if it's on the horizon, it blinds me if I'm looking into it or casts shadows if I'm looking away from it. I usually wait about an hour or so after moonrise so I don't have any problem. On dark nights, I may or may not use the ir light. It helps but can also cast shadows like a spotlight if grass is high or brushy.

the thermal doesn't need any light, it uses heat signatures. I'd like to have that for observation and locating dead hogs, but it would make for a nice scope too. The ones I've seen have multiple background/foreground patterns for your preference in contrast.

the digiscope is a pretty good value. i believe it has user selectable reticles and maybe even user defined reticles uploaded via usb port. Video in/out is nice too if you're in to that sort of thing. You're not looking through a scope tube, but rather at a screen like a camera. I noticed if you move the scope too fast the image blurs. That may not be a factor for some but it bothered me.

I suspect if you had something for bb to shoot, he'd show you all kinds of equipment. With my luck I'd bring him out and not see anything all night.

bait1b_zps5d843ade.jpg

i don't have to work today so i got the little woman bedded down early last night and snuck out to go hunting. haven't seen any tracks even after the rain but i was hopeful my bait spots would produce. with no wind i really had to creep up slowly and kept my distance outside 100 yards just to be safe.

i could see one hog in the kill zone but turned on the ir light just to make sure and three other pairs of eyes lit up. three coyotes were harassing the hog and making him rush them. they would dart away just far enough to keep him annoyed. he never settled down so i had to shoot him while he fidgeted.

Good job!!! Wish you could have got a coyote too. I wonder why the coyotes were pestering a big hog. Maybe they have been picking off the little ones and decided they would try something bigger?

Merry Ximas all.

I wil get around to posting some NV info for yall sometime before New Year.

Nice porker there DJones

BB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.