Thorofare Elk Hunt

More thorofare pictures Bear poles put up by forest service, scenery and my S&W 460 bear pistol.

Attachments

• Elk Hunt 2008 077.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2008 077.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Hunting 2010 019.jpg
    Hunting 2010 019.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Hunting 2010 055.jpg
    Hunting 2010 055.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 100
I think the grizzly have put more of a dent in the elk than wolves based on we saw 5 grizzly in 2008 and 13 grizzly in 2010. Less wolvesi seen or heard in 2010.

Grizzlies and black bears both go to where elk calve up there and hammer the babies. In areas like the Sunlight herd north of Cody they can hardly get a calf crop any more.

Guess I got to go to plan B. Just checked the Colorado G & F website and i didn't get a Desert Sheep tag (again). So I guess I'll have to find some October hunting after I get back from my thorofare huntgun)

I haven't been in that country for a few years now. Backpacked over the pass on deer creek trail a few times. I had somebody pick me up on pacific creek one year after I walked it all the way through. Grizzlies got so bad I quit fooling with it and the wolves ate most of the elk so I haven't been there in a few years. If you need another guy I would like to see that country again. Do you have horses or going to rent them? I hunted it back in the 70's-80's and it was very good then. I would like to see some of my old hotspots.
This would not be the year for me to do it, but if you guys want to consider it in the future I happen to own some very good, solid horses that can handle anything from the roughest mountains to the desert... .gun)

Wild Rose I sure wish I could take you up on a trip into the thorofare as I have no horses. Being disabled am not sure how I could handle a horse ride back there??? I wished I would have learned about the thorofare before I became disabled and had no problems getting around. I will have to find my friends site where she has posted all her pictures from the last several years of spending her entire summers back there. To all who are going hunting back there this year please get lots of pictures and be safe.

Wild Rose I sure wish I could take you up on a trip into the thorofare as I have no horses. Being disabled am not sure how I could handle a horse ride back there??? I wished I would have learned about the thorofare before I became disabled and had no problems getting around. I will have to find my friends site where she has posted all her pictures from the last several years of spending her entire summers back there. To all who are going hunting back there this year please get lots of pictures and be safe.
Hmm, maybe we could built you an off road buggy that can be horse drawn.... .lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts