Thorofare Elk Hunt

These are pictures of 200 hunt in Throfare Elk Hunt 2008 033.jpg

Elk Hunt 2008 037.jpg

Elk Hunt 2008 084.jpg

Elk Hunt 2008 088.jpg

Wonderful pictures, love to pack in and stayaway from the 4 wheelers and lots of
hunters getting harder every year, thought I was there for awhile, that Weatherby in the picture looks loke my 300 exceopt I have a Sightron on mine.

I'm lucky that my wife hunts with me, we pack our three mules in and stay, only 8-10 miles though. I took nice rag horn with my bow and she took a nice 6 x 6 about
310 bull with her 270WSM. Thanks for the picture wonderful country.

Colorado Cowboy, I have been though your part of the state quite often, looks like a great area for mule deer, hows the Elk hunting?

I usually take your route when traveling in the winter so I don't have to take Red Mountain Pass, nasty road in the winter.

Good luck this season in Wy., looks like a great trip.

Like you said, deer hunting is good and getting better. I shot a 4x4 a couple of years ago that weighed 203# after it was gutted, skinned and head and feet off. Not huge rack, about 24" x 24". I have an apple orchard with over 150 trees and during the rut there are some incredible bucks there chasing does. But that is normally after the last season has already closed.

Elk hunting can be really good too. But lots of private ground and too many hunters in big camps in the National forrest. If you are willing to hike, you can do pretty good. Last year my neighbor arrowed a 6x6 that scored right at 360 green during archery season. I hunted muzzle loading for the first time and saw one pretty good 6x6, but it was a little over 200 yds and I wasn't comfortable with the shot. If it was during rifle season, it would have been in my freezer!

I envy all who even get to set foot in the thorofare, I have a friend who hikes in there every year and spends like 3 months back there. Have heard lots of grizzly stories. If I ever had the money I would not hesitate to go back there to hunt or even just hike through with my camera. I love the pictures that have been posted. But as bad as my back is getting am not sure I could handle the horse ride back there, its hard enough to drive around in my truck. I bought a book about Hawks Rest. From the first time I heard about that country I fell in love with it. Good luck to all and be safe.
Chuck in Boise

I have to break my code of silence. If you guys would like to see an even more remote side of the thorofare my favorite is Mountain Creek. We used to take off from Eagle Creek up the North fork of the Shoshone head over the pass into Yellowstone down to SE corner of the park then up Mountain Creek. Good hunting but the bears were eating more elk than we were. The other bummer was big brother was always watching from the park side. The only problem I had with that was you were guilty untill proven innocent. Great forum I appreciate all the info.

iginwyo, I accessed most of the east side of the lake and the se corner by boat with a backpack scouting. I have been all through there. For hunting I mostly went over deer creek and then a base camp. With horses you can go north out of there through some beautiful high basins into where you are talking about.

I don't know if I will ever get to see that country in my life, but have read stories from one of the old rangers who use to patrol that area, his name is Bob Jackson, I guess back then alot of the guides would resort to salt blocks. So it sounds like he was not liked to much among the guides. Looking at the distance by boat it must be a several hour boat ride. I forget which way my friend packs in there but the pictures she has taken are awesome. I forget how many times she has been charged by grizzly bears, but thankfully has never been attacked. But for those who have been back there and have posted pictures, thank you so much as it seems I can never see enough pictures of the thorofare region. All I have to do is win the lottery and then I can book my hunting trip of a lifetime.
Chuck in Boise

Freebird, a beautiful paddle trip or boat ride and not that bad. Just can't access hunting that way. Mountain creek is right down from the se corner of the lake and easy to get to from there. The peak at the head of it is about the highest in the park. Beautiful country. Heck of horse ride through some unbelievable country the way iginwyo went. I bet he didn't have much company up there. No need for anyone to target this area. That whole region from pacific creek and two ocean pass clear back to deer creek pass and north and south is all good with animals scattered here and there.

Being disabled and unemployed does not help me pursue the things I love. Because of my disability I am not sure how well I could tolerate the horse ride back there???? Heck am not sure how well I can do just driving from Boise Idaho to yellowstone anymore????
So I get to live through everyones experiences who have went back there or their successful hunting trips.
I love the pictures and the stories, please keep them coming.

LTLR, my fariers still go in that way. They are black powder nuts and this is an area where black powder hunters can bat 1000 in a Wyoming general rifle season.

I've wanted to hunt in that are for several years, but the thought of several hours on horseback...

and, based on our experience nearby I'm sure that the wolves have taken a good dent out of the elk population. Maybe once the wolf numbers decline. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.