Thoought A-Maxs were tougher than V-Maxs

Iron Worker

Yesterday shot a Coyote with my 22-250AI Max load of IMR 4320 useing the 52gr A-Max. Shot a coyote in the Lower chest. It didn't make a small hole,it blew a big chunk out of her chest.Poor thing was dead before it hit the ground! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That sounds great....got your animal so that's good.

One shot doesn't mean that it's not a tougher bullet. I shot one coyote at around 115 yrds once with the same bullet, the bullet enter into his front section of his chest, next to the shoulder, the bullet slipped out behind the shoulder next to the ribs.
No damage.....in fact I had to track him down, 60 yds away I finally got him.

I have recently shot a fox with a 6mm Match Bullet and it had severe damage, it was a sideways front shoulder hit. I have also had some shot front on with VMAX's that looked like they had been hit with a rimfire. Velocity was about 3300fps.

I have always found that with a round the size of the 22-250 and up when targeting yotes and foxes, its is bone frags that will tend to do MUCH more damage then the actual bullet.

If you slip a bullet between the ribs you generally will have very little damage, if you contact any major bone at all you will get severe pelt damage.

The reason I personally feel is the extreme expansion of these bullets on even light bone. I have always been a fan of heavier, controlled expansion bullets for protecting pelts. The moderate to high velocity of these heavy pills seems to be much more user friendly then the hyper velocity tipped bullets at least in chamberings such as the 22-250 and up.

If your serious about pelt hunting I would go to a stouter bullet. They gnerally cost more but for yote hunting where the pelt is the trophy so to speak, this slight increase per shot will make you more money they you spend in less pelt damage.

My idea of a pelt load is a heavy stout bullet at 3000-3300 fps with a high BC if possible.

If I just want to kill yotes its a fast expansion bullet!!!

TO your direct question, I have not seen much difference between the A-Max and the V-Max but I believe there is a slight difference in the internal design of the tip but I have not cross sectioned them to see.

Kirby Allen(50)

Lafe,

Up here in Montana, we were getting $20-$25 for a whole dog last year. Not sure what the price will be this year. If you do all the pelt work you get much more but its alot more work as well.

Problem has been the weather up here. Gets cold for a couple weeks for them to get their heavy coats and then warms up to 70 degrees in November and December. After that they start breeding and rubbing and they are no good anyway, except for targets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts