Thompson Pro Hunter thumbhole rifle

rijaxon

I would appreciate anyone's comments on the new Thompson Pro Hunter with the thumbhole stock. I held one the other day and it fit me like a glove.

My main questions are: Can the trigger be lightened and smoothed?
Can I expect one inch groups at 100yds with most calibers or at least with a 308 Win. bbl?
Thanks,
Rick

The answer is yes.

I now have four of them. I dont know why since you can change barrels and it is supposed to be an all in one rifle, muzzleloader and shotgun. I have one in camo, one black and two wood. I have been enjoying mine for quite awhile now. I have had trigger jobs done on each one. You can really make it a nice trigger and take up the travel. I get less than one inch with all of the calibers that I have. There are a few things I would recommend. One is to get a locking hinge pin. Some people might say to use an oversized pin but that will void your lifetime warranty and is not needed. That locking pin will take up any slop in the pivit point - that is if you have any. I have only had one gun that was lose and it took a $30 pin to fix the problem.

I cannot say enough about them. I think if it fits you and you like it go for it. I have been happy with mine and I am sure you will enjoy one if you get one.

Many thanks. I wanted to hear from someone with real experience. Obviously, you have it. I had heard of the locking pins and was planning on getting one if I trade for the rifle. Currently, I have a Win. F'wt in 7mm08 that I cannot get to shoot. I bought it off of Gunbroker.com and have floated the bbl and had a trigger job done to now avail. I'm going to have my gunsmith look at it and see if he can find a reason but if not, will trade it for the Pro Hunter with the camo thumbhole. I've always wanted a 7mm-08 because of the great ballistics but am now considering a 308 Win. My sons and I have all shot deer in Ga. with the 308 and they drop where they are. My 21 year old son shot his first buck Sunday and got a 10 pt 205 lb buck and it went 20 yds and dropped.

Your input is invaluable. Thanks,
Rick

I own one pro hunter with 3 barrels. 204 Ruger, 25-06, and 243 Win. I got lucky a great trigger and have not bought the locking pin. All barrels are under 3/4 inch at 100 yrds. The 204 is great for coyotes and prairie dogs. All barrels are 28 in fluted factory. Best part new caliber $285. I say trade it you will be very happy. My 2 cents.

I can trade my F'wt with $200 and get the camo thumbhole version meaning that I'll get about $550 for the F'wt. I'm wondering, however, if I could get more on GON for the F'wt.

Anyway, your comments have just about helped me seal the deal. I don't want to pay a gunsmith $100 to look at it and wish I'd paid $100 more and gotten the Thompson.

Thanks for the input.
Rick

I have had three featherweights. I have not had great luck with them. They have been OK shooters. I have always liked the rifle but never liked they way it shoots. I have always been happy with the Thompson Centers.

I have a TC in 7mm08. It is great. 308 is great too. I had a gunsmith cut my 7mm08 barrel down to be about 17 long. It is a great compact backbacking rifle. Its shoots very well. Even at 17 inches it shoots better than any of the featherweighs I have had.

Go for it. I am sure you will be happy with is. I have several friends that bought T/C's after I got my first one and they all use theirs for rifle hunting and turkey hunting. A few of them have also bought the muzzleloader barrel. Its a solid platform to have fun with.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.